Sky+ Failed recordings! Sky says it's BBC fault

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by BigRD, Jan 28, 2004.

1. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Since my Sky+ installation 7 days ago I've had 3 failed recordings and 2 incomplete recordings. Two failed on BBC2, one on BBC1 and an incomplete on BBC1 and 1 on Sky One. I phone Sky to be tol that the problem lies with the BBC broadcast signal and that the BBC has posted details on their web site. I then got cut off :mad: I can't find this statement anywhere.

Phoned back to get the same story from another support person who said the Sky One failure must have just been a glitch but it's a BBC problem.

Any comments folks? Has anyone read or know where I can find this BBC statement?

2. K Duggan

K Duggan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/answers.shtml#skyplus

Quote:
    The problems with replay on Sky+ of recorded programmes appears to affect only some viewers, as many have no difficulties at all. Some of those who do have replay problems appear to also have the same difficulty with non BBC channels.

We have taken note of what people are saying on a popular digital forum about the issue, and are looking further into the situation. The forthcoming update to Sky+ software is a bonus for many reasons. In addition to introducing desirable new features, we understand it will also help a number of other issues and as a result, if the problem still exists, ought to be clarified by removal of the other issues which are somewhat muddying the waters. Also the fact all viewers Sky+ boxes will be reset may also help. We will however not be relying on this and are actively working to determine what is causing this problem and seek a solution.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    There is a lot of confusion:)
    Just reading forums where people are posting their recording failures does seem to indicate the vast majority are from BBC channels and since the EPG is a fundemental part of the SKY+ recording system it's data has to be correct.
    It hasn't helped that the last OS update which introduced Dual Recording seems to be less than perfect itself or throwing the wild card of upgraded hard drives into the mix.
    SKY should have really introduced an official upgrade path for SKY+ and supported higher capacity drives in the OS which could have then been tested by the software writers.

The big problem of course is the lack of information from SKY to the people that have bought SKY+, still pay the £10 sub or are on a package which has it for free.
    If the BBC ELG data is inaccurate/buggy then surely it's not that difficult for SKY who should know th system inside out to spot the problem and provided the information for the BBC or any other broadcaster to fix it.

Just to muddy the waters further I have no failed recordings for the better part of the year and that includes the few BBC programs I record.

4. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +416
    Some of my recordings fail after being recorded and looking fine in the list ... eg I recorded both episodes of the office xmas special ... both were fine in the list until I had a tidy up and deleted a few recodings ... the next time I checked my list it had marked one of the office episodes as 'failed' ... before I had even watched it ... grrrrr - and of course now I can't !!

Jon

5. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I was watching a prog on BBC2 whilst recording it for my wife just before xmas. Part way through I noted that the record light had gone off. Cursing myself for being stupid, I went to the EPG to record the remainder & there was nothing there for BBC2 for that time slot. I checked the SKY+ planner which showed that the programme didn't exist but the next one in the series was already cued up to record. Don't know who to blame for that one.

6. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    K Duggan,

Thanks for the link. Was this written before the dual record update and therefore is the reference to the dual record or another still to come?

7. davej

davej
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The last two weeks my sky+ had failed to record "Revolver" on BBC1 on Tuesday night, one time just saying it had failed, the next week saying it had clashed but had successfully record 723 minutes of the 30 minute program (needless to say it hadn't recorded anything).
    This week it finally succeeded, along with a couple of other programs its been reluctant to record on BBC1 so maybe something's now been done.
    Just a shame Revolver isn't as good as the previews made it look....

8. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have also had failed recordings on BBC1 but with no warning of the failure, the box just recorded 2 minutes each time. This has happened about three times over the past three weeks, all on the same program (neighbours).
    I get a right pasting from the wife when this happens...."it never used to happen on the video recorder!" rings in my ears all night......LOL

Best regards David