Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sky+ failed recordings - Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by barneyman, Feb 18, 2005.

1. barneyman

barneyman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Odd one this... Sky+ standard v1 box

For the last 3 nights recordings have failed, but not all of them, and now it hardly works at all.

My troubles are below :( :mad: :confused:

Tuesday : CSI fine & NYPD Blue fine at 11pm on FX, but the NYPD Blue at 2.30 in the morning failed (I recorded both as it had failed the previous night).

On Tuesday, I had left the sky+ on standby, as normal, but it had froze and I needed to turn it off and restart. I also did a programme rebuild.

Wednesday : The Apprentice on BBC1 & Ozbournes at 10pm on MTV fine, but Desperate Housewives at 11 on E4 and both NYPD Blues failed on FX.

This time I left Sky+ on, but this morning it had turned itself off. I could turn it on again fine, but it said nothing was in the planner. So I turned if off at the wall, restarted and all my saved programmes were back, but three failings.

UPDATE : And last night, the box kept shutting off even when watching TV, and not trying to record or watching a recording.

And when we tried watching a recording, it will either play for a while and then cutoff, or not at all.

Methinks the hard disk is on its way out but why is it only failing recordings later in the evening/night ?

Would I only need to get a new hard drive to resolve this? :rolleyes:

Gonna call sky and order sky+ 160 as its now out of warranty, but anyone had anything similar?

:lease:

cheers

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +9,548
    Have you tried the housekeeping option? The one that wipes everything.

Might be something to try first.

3. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Why not upgrade the hardrive yourself. Can get the 160mb drive the use in the Sky+ 160 for around £80 I think. Just search the forum for compatible drives and/or visit www.hummer.co.uk for details of how its done.

Wackojacko32

4. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get the feeling the planner rebuild just makes things worse. Has done the only times I have used it! Definitely recommend a Full System Reset as per Greg. But - the fact that it is dying while you watch it does suggest something more terminal is happening.

Good luck :smashin:

Rogerl

5. barneyman

barneyman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the tips

i will try the rebuild, but it has been making some clicking noises like the disk has failed.

I recognise these noises from when my PC hard-disk went as well recently :mad:

Isn't it tricky upgrading the v1 boxes?

6. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dont know I've never tried as I've only just got Sky+, although I have read something about the 17 minute bug on V1 boxes but thought this was fixed with a software upgrade. Apart from that it seems just like swapping HDD's in your PC, i.e. a piece of cake. :thumbsup:

If your worried about upgrading there are places on the net that sell already upgraded boxes, with warranty for a lot less than £400. Google or Dealtime should find what your looking for.

Wackojacko32

7. ssuellid

ssuellid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My V1 Sky+ works fine with a 250GB HD in it. No problems so far and its been in for 4 months or so.

I had a few failed recordings a while back and it turned out to be that the aerial cable for the second tuner had fallen out of the back of the box. Check the signal strength - its under the Services menu somewhere.

8. Wishartd

Wishartd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been having similar problems for about three months now. Recordings " lost" from the Planner, recording failures, live pause not working etc. Each time I phoned Sky I was put through the usual procedure, eventually leading to an Engineer call out. The first engineer insisted it was a software problem that Sky know about and were working to correct. After resetting and reformatting the hard drive it worked fine for a month or two. Finally stopped working altogether last week and they replaced the box. This only worked for a week before "failing" to record, losing recorded programmes. Last call to Sky, today, resulted in the representative admitting the faults I was describing were all attributable to a "software fault" that they had known about for several months and were trying to resolve( no indication of when). Until it is fixed I was told all Sky+ customers could suffer same problems. The rep indicated he also was suffering from same failures. The fault will even lose recorded programmes you have already viewed ! I think this is a disgrace bearing in mind SKY are continuing to sell this service without disclosing it's faults. I have formally written to SKY to complain plus copies tp BBC Watchdog, Advertising Standards. Wait to see what response (if any) this brings.