1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky + facilities

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by billybriggs, Jun 22, 2004.

1. billybriggs

billybriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    Can anyone point me to a run down of Sky + facilities.I am having it installed 28/06 and having read this forum i am a little concerned with some of the comments recently.........so here goes
    1. missed recordings.I was under the impression that you selected from the main menus ,added them to your recorder and it did the rest(What's all this about setting it 5mins earlier and later to not miss any of the programme?).
    2.deleting programmes..by mistake?
    3. Rewinding to begiining of programmes within a 30 min period.Would I be right to assume that this is possible only if the Sky+ has been left on that particular channel(either on or in standby)? i.e. Is it possible to switch to any channel and provided it is less than 30 mins into the programme you can rewind to the beginning.If so this is an excellent feature..especially with the number of channel Sky provide.
    4.Can you do the above whilst wanting to watch another channel and record it from the beginning even if it has started?

Hopefully someone can make me wise( p.s.I have seen Sky site demo so please don't recommend that)

Thanks very much
    Chris

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    1. Sky+ relies on the information in the EPG to start and stop recording. If the programme doesn't start on time and the broadcaster (not Sky) doesn't change the EGP information, the recording may miss the start and/or the end. By adding 5 minutes, you hope to avoid this.

2. To delete a programme from the planner, you simply press the yellow button - there is no 'Are you sure?' question prior to deletion. You can overcome this by flagging the program to 'keep' in which cas you will be asked to enter your PIN prior to deletion.

3. The rewind facility applies only to the channel you are watching and resets each time you change channel. So, if you are watching BBC for 10 mins and then change to ITV, the buffer is cleared and the rewind facility will only work for the ITV programme.

4. If you are watching a program and press record, the box will start recording from the point at which you changed to that channel (subject to hong long you have the rewind buffer set to). You can then change to watch another channel.

HTH

John

3. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Unless its ITV where programs are regularly 10mins late meaning you always miss the end! :mad:

Or of course the poxy Sky+ box just forgets ALTOGETHER that you want something recorded and removes a series link for no apparent reason. Its is never safe to assume that anything you have set up to record with Sky+ will actually be there afterwards!

4. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,615
    I thought you had to press pause , then the blue button for that , does it not only record from the point you actually press record ? :rolleyes:

5. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    no if you have been watching a program for 10mins and press record it will save all the previous 10mins of that program. Then continue till the end of the program.

6. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    LDJ,

I'd agree that ITV are particularly bad at updating their EPG info - in our house it always seems to be Coronation Street that has the end missing much to the wife's annoyance.

Apart from that though I have to say in the 18 months I've had it, I've had no other problems.

John

7. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,615
    ahhh , okey doke , pause and blue will save the whole programme, so long as you have been watching it :D

8. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I'll just add, I haven't noticed much clipping of recorded programs (only occasional credits missing etc) As I read this though, I realised I mainly watch ITV 'live'. Recording Sky & BBC that it seems from what's being said are better at adhereing to the EPG.

9. skiller

skiller
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No, you don't have to enter any PIN. It's just a straight forward confirmation dialogue. Press SELECT to confirm.

10. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    On my v1 box, you HAVE to enter your PIN to either delete or remove the keep flag from a program you flagged to keep - just tried it again now.

John

11. wizbongre

wizbongre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I thought it was me going mad - so other people experience Sky+ not recording things that you have set to record - most notably series link programs?

12. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I am not 100% sure but if you have not set up any Parental controls on the SKY+ then that is the reason why you do not need a PIN to alter the keep flag status.