• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky F1 channel

lee667

Distinguished Member
Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Sky are giving it free to anyone who has HD but not SS, so surely Virgin should follow suit.

Would like the option of having the dedicated channel without having to fork out for the SS subscription.

Virgin have no rights to F1 and can only show what SKY or the BBC allow them to. Virgin cannot offer a similar deal unless SKY give them an option to broadcast or show a dedicated F1 channel and I doubt such a channel would be free to anyone not receiving it via satellite.

The only way you'll get F1 in HD via cable is to either watch the 10 races the BBC will be broadcasting or subscribe to SKY sports with the additional HD charge. It is very unlikely that you'll get any dedicate F! channel via VM for free and without subscription to the SKY Sports package.

Last edited:

lee667

Distinguished Member
i'll be happy if they do a deal similar to espn for £10 a month.

dante01

Distinguished Member
£10 is still rather steep for just 3 days worth of viewing per month. I think you'll still need to pay extra for HD too as well!

lee667

Distinguished Member
£10 is still rather steep for just 3 days worth of viewing per month. I think you'll still need to pay extra for HD too as well!

that's why it would be nice if they bundled it if you have tv xl and hd, for example. There's usually 2 races a month depending on the race calendar sometimes there are 3. £10 a month for 3 races/9 days isn't so bad.

MDPlatts

Established Member
I don't pay murdoch tax - for anything. I resent whatever vm force me to pay for bundling stuff into my package for sky1/whatever else.

I don't mind paying - just not to him - will look to the internet and probably have five-live on dab.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
I am a VIP+ customer and already thus pay a premium via VM to Sky for their sports and movie channels inc HD.

I am a great fan of F1 but I will not pay an additional premium to Sky to watch F1 live. I already pay a significant amount for the Sky Sports package. I would have expected F1 to be inclusive in this package. If they do demand an extra payment from me I will seriously consider downgrading my VM package to exclude the Murdoch premium channels. There are today other ways of watching the principal events on them......

On a plus note I got the impression that in addition to the 10 GP's that the BBC get to cover in their rights that all the "early start" GP's e.g. Melbourne that they are not covering live will be shown in their entirety at 1300 in HD - saves me recording it from Sky and fast forwarding the ads!:clap:

Last edited:

lee667

Distinguished Member
I am a VIP+ customer and already thus pay a premium via VM to Sky for their sports and movie channels inc HD.

I am a great fan of F1 but I will not pay an additional premium to Sky to watch F1 live. I already pay a significant amount for the Sky Sports package. I would have expected F1 to be inclusive in this package. If they do demand an extra payment from me I will seriously consider downgrading my VM package to exclude the Murdoch premium channels. There are today other ways of watching the principal events on them......

On a plus note I got the impression that in addition to the 10 GP's that the BBC get to cover in their rights that all the "early start" GP's e.g. Melbourne that they are not covering live will be shown in their entirety at 1300 in HD - saves me recording it from Sky and fast forwarding the ads!:clap:

sky f1 channel will be ad free. Also poached a few of the bbc staff. it would be nice, cost permitting to virgin, to offer it free to XL/HD customers.

lee667

Distinguished Member
BBC extended highlights show on BBC HD will do me.

even though bernie said that BBC are able/allowed to show full re-runs?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Ecclestone suggested to the BBC that they condense the non live coverage of races as highlights rather than showing the races in their entirety. The BBC do have the right to broadcast the races in full though. Watch the Ecclestone interview here:
BBC Sport - F1 - BBC and Sky awarded rights in new Formula 1 deal

You really do get the impression that he is out of touch with reality though. Maybe he can afford to live in his own little cosmic bubble?

Last edited:

simonrtaylor

Standard Member
From todays advert in the paper - it says that the F1 channel will be free to sky sports subscribers - does that mean us on Virgin media will also get the channel for free???

lee667

Distinguished Member
From todays advert in the paper - it says that the F1 channel will be free to sky sports subscribers - does that mean us on Virgin media will also get the channel for free???

it's also free if you have the bog standard HD package too and no skysports.

lee667

Distinguished Member
Ecclestone suggested to the BBC that they condense the non live coverage of races as highlights rather than showing the races in their entirety. The BBC do have the right to broadcast the races in full though. Watch the Ecclestone interview here:
BBC Sport - F1 - BBC and Sky awarded rights in new Formula 1 deal

You really do get the impression that he is out of touch with reality though. Maybe he can afford to live in his own little cosmic bubble?

Thing is as well, the BBC have said that the highlights for european GP's will be 90 minutes long whilst those in the far east will be 2 hours. Given that they will be including all the post race interviews, as well as probably qualifying clips it doesn't leave much time for actual racing.

dante01

Distinguished Member
it's also free if you have the bog standard HD package too and no skysports.

So I will get the F1 channel on Virgin although I don't subscribed to Sky Sports?

I don't see how because there's no way to subscribe to SKY's basic HD package on Virgin and this is what apparently gets you the channel for free via satalite. The basic SKY HD package isn't an option via Virgin.

SKY paying so much money for the rights and then giving it away free to non SKY owned services doesn't make much sense. I suspect that if it does become an option via Virgin then there'll be a subscription involved? The service being free seems to only apply to those who subscribe to existing SKY services, SKY Sports in the case of those on cable and the standard HD bundle on SKY itself.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Virgin have posted a customer news page in relation to the F1 deal and SKY's announcement of a dedicated F! channel. It doesn't really elaborate on the situation though:

Sky announces new Formula 1 channel

Sky announced today that it will be creating a new channel devoted to Formula 1, after Sky Sports and the BBC were awarded the rights to broadcast Formula 1 in the UK from 2012 to 2018, back in July.

We always want to give you the best TV line up, so we're talking to Sky about acquiring this channel.

The new Formula 1 season doesn't kick off until March next year, so there's a while before the action starts up. We'll be updating this page as soon as we have more information for you, so check back here for the latest news.

https://my.virginmedia.com/customer-news/articles/SKYF1/

Here's what SKY themselves are saying about the channel:

The dedicated channel will be provided at no extra charge to all Sky TV customers who take both Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 or the HD pack of channels. It will be found at 408 in Sky's on-screen guide, after a scheduled move of the Sky Sports channels. Sky Sports viewers without the Sky+ HD pack will receive a standard definition version.

Sky Sports F1 HD viewers can also follow the action wherever they are with all live coverage on Sky Go, through online, mobile or tablet devices, at no extra charge.

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12433/7332332/Sky-Sports-launches-F1-channel

Not exactly free then is it :nono:

Last edited:

jack616

Established Member
Having just looked into both virgin and sky
It seems to me the time has come to do something about the obscene levels of overcharging for TV in the UK.

As far as I'm concerned the fees are already excessive to the point of being almost criminal. As for the so called "package" deals - people seem to be suffering some sort of feeding frenzy over the deceiptful
and excessively complex catalogues of repeats and broadcast drivel.

IMO the broadcast ombudsman should be sacked on the spot.

Kebabhead

Distinguished Member
It seems to me the time has come to do something about the obscene levels of overcharging for TV in the UK.

As far as I'm concerned the fees are already excessive to the point of being almost criminal. As for the so called "package" deals - people seem to be suffering some sort of feeding frenzy over the deceiptful

Consumer power it what is needed but people are too dumb to realise it

dante01

Distinguished Member
I suppose you could hold both Virgin and SKY to task over their (over) misuse of the word FREE.

A lot of my FREE VM services cost me nearly £800 per annum.

meltonboy

Prominent Member

It's all about voting with your feet. I wonder if we would still have pay per view one off sports events if that first boxing match in the 90s attracted zero viewers ?

MB

ScottBT

Established Member
I'll wait and see what happens when I hunt for the channel on Virgin at the start of the season. haha

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom