sky eye alternative

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by VOYAGERXP, Jan 31, 2009.

1. VOYAGERXP

VOYAGERXP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to have sky but i have now moved to virgin. Well i used to use a sky eye to send signal upstairs in my bedroom so i could watch and switch my sky over from the bedroom. Is the a alternative over than senders as i have never had mutch luck with them.

2. essjay

essjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Depends on which STB you have

3. robmel

robmel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same question. I have the standard set top box supplied when we joined virgin recently. it is black a Scientific Atlanta.
    We use the "scart out" to connect to the television.
    there are the following connections free:
    TV OUT (standard Ariel male connection)
    ANTENNA
    IR BLASTER IN
    IR BLASTER OUT
    USB

4. VOYAGERXP

VOYAGERXP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the little silver Samsung smt-2100c .

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  5. neuty

neuty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
    Try the Tv link system. It works perfect for me all over the house, including remote controll too.
    I have a Humax 9200 PVR so no Sky.

No reason this could not work for you too

neuty

6. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Welcome to the forums Rob :hiya:

If the model number is 4000 or 4200, you'll need an AEI DigiEye - as these use IrDA, rather than normal IR. Any other model, see the link below for cheaper (wired) alternatives...

Any of these kits should work :)

7. robmel

robmel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Ben, will do. very helpful.

8. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    The pace 1000 and 2000 will not work either

9. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Nor will the Pace 1010, but I only mentioned the above two models as he's already mentioned he's got a Scientific Atlanta ;)

10. VOYAGERXP

VOYAGERXP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought i'd have a mess around with my old sky eye from my old sky setup so i connected it to Samsung smt-2100c virgin cable box and i got picture and sound in the bedroom from in the living room downstairs but there was no red light on the eye so the virgin box is not supplying any power to the eye. Is there no setting in thses boxes to give power like the sky box.

11. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Unfortunately not. No other STBs that I know of supply power out of their RF output, apart from the Sky Digiboxes (Nor do they accept remote control signals back over their RF outputs either)...

Which brand of magic eye do you have? If it's the tvLINK, you can add the tvLINK®plus Kit including PSU to it - this will give you the IR emitters you need & the power you require from the PSU (unless you still use your Sky Digibox aswell & then you can use that to power it instead) :)

12. zico martin

zico martin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    im a little confused as to how you can use a tv link with the V+ box by powering it from a sky+ box. It cant be connected to both rf cables at the same time can it!

13. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I wasn't specifically talking about the V+, but yeah - you just connect the V(+) RF output to the aerial input on the Sky Digibox. The Sky Digibox then combines the signals before outputting over its RF2 output :)

14. zico martin

zico martin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    sounds liek am intersting idea - not entirely sure if it will work but I can certainly have a play with that tonight!

15. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    It's been done before - just make sure the RF frequencies on the STBs don't clash :)

16. zico martin

zico martin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    had a go last night but didnt work

Just to confirm this is how I've set it up is - am I doing something wrong or is what Im after impossible?

downstairs - V+ box with rf out cable going upstairs

upstairs - Sky+ box with only one cable from the dish going in (free channels but no Sky+ functionality), rf cable from V+ going into aerial in socket.

In between the rf cable going from the back of the sky+ box to the TV I have connected the magic eye whose red light is now lit. This is the only was I can get this powered but I guess as it isnt connected the the V+ directly the channels cant be changed.

any advise anyone could offer?

17. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Do you have the tvLINK®plus or just a tvLINK? You need the tvLINK®plus to change channels on all non-Sky STBs. It comes with IR emitters that you need to position infront of the STB(s) in order to change channels, etc. The diagram here should give you an idea of how it ought be wired up :)

18. pirate_ewan

pirate_ewan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not to hijack this thread but can anyone help with what I think may have been a mistake:
    I'm moving into a new house in 5 weeks and I've asked Virgin to connect me up on the day after I move in. It's a new house so hasn't had a BT line so I thought this was a good opportunity for a fresh start away from Sky and BT and Virgin seemed much better value for the 20MB BB, TV and phone.

However, popping round yesterday to do some measuring I came across a loftbox in one of the cupboards. This http://letsautomate.com/10567.cfm I believe. It seems to be cabled to send the signal to five different rooms.

This seems to be a great system but all my searching suggests that it will only work with Sky, Sky+ etc. Am I making a mistake by having a house nicely cabled with all the rooms having access through the loftbox only to add Virgin Media which they can't use?

I'll be taking my old sky box (not+ or HD) with me so I guess I could set that up somewhere as there is a Sky dish on the building but I was hoping to keep things simple.

Thanks very much for your help

19. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337

I have that loftbox. It is a simple RF distribution system. It is designed with the Sky box in mind, but there is nothing to stop you using it with the standard Virgin box. In the past I have had it working with Sky and Virgin boxes.

The only problem you will have is if you have a V+ box and you use HDMI. If HDMI is enabled the RF output is disabled. The tvLINK®plus listed above will allow you to use magic eyes to change channels remotely.

20. selector007

selector007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a smiliar set-up to the loft box but instead i have a slx 4 way amplifier/distributor. From my cable box i have the coxial cable going out the RFOUT into my amp then back out to my second tv, this works fine as i have picture.

As the amplifier was providing power down the coaxial cable i decided to risk using the slx infa red magic eye ( i have a samsung virgin media box silver).

The red led power light on the eye is lit which means there is obviously power going to it and when i press the buttions on the remote the infa red on the slx blinks but the channels don't change but i do have a picture??

Any ideas guys?

21. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    You need something like the tvLINK®plus to receive the signal from the magic eye. The Sky boxes have this feature built in. Even with the tvLINK®plus you may have problems as the distribution amp must be able to pass the signal from the magic eye to the tvLINK®plus. Many distribution amps do not support this.

If you add the cost of the tvLINK®plus, the unknown factor surrounding the distribution amp and you only having 1 other TV I would look at a different solution. Using a remote extender such as a Powermid is probably an easier solution to use Marmitek PowerMid XL infrared extender set: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo .

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  22. selector007

selector007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Limegreen appreciate your help, but i don't think the powermids will work in my scenario as my other tv is on the wall!! Think i may have to go try the OmniLINK InfraRed Signal Extender System. Have you ever used this? Do you think this will work?

Attached Files:

23. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    I've just had a look at your slx 4 way amplifier/distributor, the specs say it supports the use of magic eyes. So either the OmniLINK or tvLINK®plus should work OK.

Just because your TV is on the wall doesn't mean the Powermid needs to be on the wall. As long as you can point the remote at the Powermid it will work.