1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY+ Extra Storage & Adverts

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by tommymuldy, Nov 19, 2003.

1. tommymuldy

tommymuldy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys,

I'm looking into getting Sky+, but I would like more than the 20hours of storage on offer from the system as it is provided. Have any of you fitted new hard drives to your boxes?

Would it be better to buy a DVDR to fit to copy off the Sky+? (A bit reluctant to do this as I have just bought a new DVD player)

One last question, does anyone know if it has an option where you can edit out adverts? (I think some PVRs do this but I'm not sure).

Thanks in advance for your help & advice!!!!

2. JAMBO

JAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The hadr drive can be upgraded to increase the 20 hrs recording limit. Haven't done it myself, so possibly others can explain best way to do it and maximum recording limits.
    No way of editing out adverts on Sky+, but you can zoom through them at 30x speed, so takes about 6 secs, for 3 mins of adverts.

3. tommymuldy

tommymuldy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nice one thanks. I suppose the advert thing isn't such a big problem really if you can zoom through like you say, just the storage space.

4. JAMBO

JAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky+ gives you the option of: Normal speed, 2x, 6x, 12x and 30x. Very simple to use. Whilst in play mode, each time you press the fast forward button moves the speed up 1 notch, on the above scale. Can also be used to catch up, if you have used the live pause. E.g. to answer the door, while the footy is on....or if you miss something while the wife is nagging !!!

5. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    I think it was the December issue of Home Cinema Choice magazine that gave step by step instructions on how to install a larger capacity hard drive to the Sky+ box. Must say, it looked quite simple. Best of luck.

6. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,813
    I have just fitted a maxtor fdb drive 120 Gb from ebuyer(£85),gives me 60 hours.It's really easy to fit,have a look here www.hummer.co.uk/disc-change.htm

Good luck.

7. tommymuldy

tommymuldy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys for the info. I will get the box and hard drive at Christmas time and give it a go!!!! Maybe I will get my Dad to do it instead....