• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky Extension Issues - Tested All Components!

PMD51

Standard Member
I have bought 2x 10m cables and the relevant f-connectors to extend the existing sat cables (5m) and am having issues with maintaining a signal.

Starting out with the existing setup I have a signal strength/quality on both cables of one bar off perfect.

(For clarity I'll refer to the components as follows: Input 1/Cable A & Input 2/Cable B & Extension C/Extension D )

Input 1/CableA/Extension C - extends fine - signal quality/strength deteriorates by 2 bars but nothing major.

Input2/Cable B/Extension D - as soon as I extend I lose the signal. Equally if I use the Input 2/Cable B/Extension C combo I get the same failure. If I swap the extension cables over Input 1/CableA/Extension D works - proving both Extension Cables C/D are not faulty.

So I decide to check if it's an input socket issue and swap the whole lot over so that Cable B is in Input 1 and Cable A is in Input 2 - I get the same failure on Cable B when I extend it (using Extension C or D) and both combos of Input 2/Cable A/Extension C and Input 2/Cable A/Extension D work ok - proving it's not an input socket issue/extension cable issue.

So I decide to try a different LNB socket on the receiver. I try both Extension Cables C and D (separately) as a direct Dish/Receiver replacement for Cable A and they both work fine. As soon as I replace Cable B with either extension cable I lose signal. I have tried connecting to the two spare LNBs on the sat dish and get the same problem - as soon as Cable B is replaced I lose signal.

I'm somewhat stumped as the cables should make no difference and if I use a working extension cable direct from the sat then it should by-pass the issue but doesn't! Is there a software setting I need to change..? Forgot to say have also gone throgh the LNB power up/down sequence with new cables attached but to no avail.

Know this may be tricky to follow but help much appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
I would look long and hard at the connector between Cable B and the extension(s).
(Try swapping it with the one on Cable A)

Last edited:

PMD51

Standard Member
I would look long and hard at the connector between Cable B and the extension(s).
(Try swapping it with the one on Cable A)

Thanks - had done that already but to no avail. It only seems to stop working when I do anything to Cable B i.e. extend it or swap it completely.

MartinPickering

Prominent Member
I have bought 2x 10m cables and the relevant f-connectors to extend the existing sat cables (5m) and am having issues with maintaining a signal.

We (SatCure) had a quality control problem recently and some extension cables went out with incorrectly fitted 'F' plugs. If you bought from us between June 1st and 14th, please make contact so we can send replacements (and apologies).

(I realise you bought the plugs and fitted them yourself but I'm just taking advantage of this thread in the hope that customers may read it!)

See satcure for details of how to fit 'F' plugs.

Last edited by a moderator:

PMD51

Standard Member
We (SatCure) had a quality control problem recently and some extension cables went out with incorrectly fitted 'F' plugs. If you bought from us between June 1st and 14th, please make contact so we can send replacements (and apologies).

(I realise you bought the plugs and fitted them yourself but I'm just taking advantage of this thread in the hope that customers may read it!)

See satcure for details of how to fit 'F' plugs.

Thanks - bought from B&Q actually but the issue was with the original cable SKy provided. Anyways they turned up this AM and couldn't find the fault so replaced all cables for free.

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom