1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ extended warranty

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by malcmall, Apr 29, 2005.

1. malcmall

malcmall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all had sky + box for 5 months now and sky are trying to sell the wife a yearly warranty for £65 which I think is alot what do you all think? how much does it cost to replace? Sky have also said the warranty is nearly finished surely it is guarenteed for 1 year. Had no probs with the box.

2. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The initial warrenty is for 12 months from the date of installation. If Sky are offering you an extended warrenty for just £65.00 per year I should take it. a single out of warrenty service call is £65.00. The warrenty on a service call is for three months, but only on the equipment that was involved. Therefore if your box fails after just over a year it would cost you £65.00 to replace it. However, if your LNB or cable needs seeing to just one day after it would cost you another £65.00. Make your own joice.

3. malcmall

malcmall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So how much is it to replace a sky plus box and has anyone else taken the warranty?

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It really depends on how good you are with hand tools, because 80% of the problems you get with Sky+ are due to problems with the hard drive. If you are able to replace the hard drive yourself, a new one will cost you less than £35 inc. P & P, which leaves plenty of change out of £65. The electronics should last at least 5 years, by which time you would be able to buy a replacement box and get change out of the £260 you would have paid to Sky.

However, you could be unlucky and have the box blow up in its second year. A bit like life insurance, really - it's all down to risks.

5. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,099
    It's a gamble really, pure and simple.

You could pay the £65 for the insurance and never have a problem, but then not pay it and have loads of problems.

I don't have the insurance and recently had to shell out the £65 for the engineer. Although he did change the box (and changed it again next week) and the LNB so I was happy.

Greg

6. malcmall

malcmall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone took out the warranty?????

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Not me..... I'll risk it. :)

8. Andy_Lee

Andy_Lee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep It's called piece of mind and as I pay it monthly no big deal just happy knowing if (or should that be when) the bugger goes bang it's sorted with no extra cash from me.

9. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Used to sell the warrenty back in my student days of working in call centres. Never took it out myself because generally I dont like extended warrenties but it they follow the same principle of any insurance.. pay what is generally slightly more than the average person claims but have peace of mind and know exactly how much you have to pay and when - no having to find £150 for a new box if it dies.

10. malcmall

malcmall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    £65 a year seems expensive to me most extended warranties are for 3 or 5 years for that sort of price.

11. Sutty

Sutty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure I've read somewhere (Which? probably), that you can buy an insurance policy that covers approx 5 appliances under 5 years old (I think it varies according to policy), for the price of what you're talking about just for your Sky+ box. I've tried to find details on the Which? website, but couldn't find anything. I just recall Which recommending it as a better way to go than extended warranty, if you wanted peace of mind

12. malcmall

malcmall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for that will have a look as well

13. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I've had a look at the Sky Protection Plan, and I don't see much to stop people taking out the plan after the box has failed, and waiting a month or so before putting in a claim. I have read paragraph R:, but I don't see how they would prove it ?

14. BinB

BinB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Nick - this really applies to any insurance which doesnt involve either a 3rd party or the police but is fraud and IF they could find you out you would be kissing goodbye to getting credit from a bank or their sub brands, insurance etc ever again.

She Who Must Be Obeyed works in counter fraud and has had many people phone & complain that they put in a dodgy claim for £200 or so, were found out and now have been refused a mortgage because of it or no one will insure their car so how are they supposed to drive etc - they offer to pay back (we obviously accept the money) but it doesnt remove the fraud loading against them.