1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY equivalent to freeview Help?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by SnakeUK, Dec 29, 2002.

1. SnakeUK

SnakeUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I am new to all this Sky business I would like to ask a few questions.

Ultimately I am interested in freeview but as freeview does not support my area then sky is my only option. As I understand it SKY are due to offer their equivalent service for £120.

If I pay sky £120 then surely it will come with a new digibox/satelite or is the £120 just for installing an equipment I have to buy beforehand.

I've also just realised that many manufaturers make sky digiboxes. I previously assumed only sky were able to make their equipment and that the boxes from Pace, Panasonic etc were for cable. So which digibox is the best. I am only looking to get it for the free digital channels.

Sky are currently offering £1 instalation if I subscribe to the premium service. Would it be a better idea for me to subscribe to this service for the minimum 2 month period and then revert to the minimum subscription service (£10 per month) for the next 10 months and then opt not to continue with any subscription. Am I right in assuming that I will be able to recieve the free digital service (freeview equivalent) automatically from this point on without the need for further equipment or charges.

Thanks

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    SKY will be offering a non subscription package which will include a digibox and it's installation but I can not confirm the price.

There is a never ending discussion about which digibox is better and since they are being updated on a regular basis it's hard to keep track. The latest PACE and Pana models are good and there is nothing wrong with the latest Grundigs or Amstrad digiboxes either, it may come down to external design preferences.
    Order direct from SKY and you will not get a choice of digibox, you can ask for a specific one but you probably won't get it, pay a little more and go to an independent installer will give you the option of choosing your digibox.

Taking up the £1 offer and downgrading the subscription to a cheaper package is a good alternative although after the 1st Jan the minimum price package will be £12.50 a month and yes after the minimum 12 months you can cancel and you still get access to all the FTA (Free To Air, no smartcard) and FTV (Free To View, free smartcard) channels carried on SKY D.

3. SnakeUK

SnakeUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. Much appreciated as it answered all my questions.

Where can I find these independent installers on the net.

Also I would like the Sky service for many rooms in the house. Can I achieve this with the use of wires/leads or will I need to buy further digi boxes.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Have a look through your yellow pages or Thomson local they should have lists of satellite installation companies who are also authorised SKY suppliers and can offer most of the deals SKY have a that time.
    The CAI website is also useful for checking on satellite/aerial companies.

In what respect do you want the SKY service in other rooms?
    If you want to watch the same channel in another room then a cheap TVlink (cable/remote) which connects to a RF2 on a digibox will fed the signal to a second TV.
    A wireless sender can also be used with the benifit of no wires and a stereo signal.
    If you want the same channel to be on multipule TV's then some sort of RF distribution device fed from single digibox will be needed.

Now the expensive option:)
    If you want to watch two subscription channels on two TV's at the same time you will need two digiboxes connected to at least a Twin LNB on the single dish.
    You can either use a free FTV smartcard for anyother digiboxes or SKY have a mirror subscription which for £15 a month gives you a second smartcard which carries the same package as your first.
    SKY can supply all the hardware required for this type of system but so can an independent and if you are handy you can buy the parts and do it yourself.