1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky EPG Too Early

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by fortean, Sep 15, 2005.

1. fortean

fortean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Watching Sky Movies 2 tonight waiting for Under The Tuscan Sun (12) to start at 8:00PM
    At 7:59PM the 'on now' part of the EPG changed to show that the film had started and so prompted for a PIN because it was a 12 certificate before 8:00PM
    I changed channel and waited until 8:00PM then switched back to the film. No PIN required this time.

2. Vonzack

Vonzack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Isn't that the way it should work, in a round about sort of way.

When the EPG took you to the movie at 19:58, you were watching a 12 cert before the watershed so needed the PIN. When you switched over to the movie after 20:00 it was after the watershed and you can then view 12 cert programs without the PIN.

3. fortean

fortean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    It is how it should work except that the movie didn't start until 8:00PM so the EPG should not have changed until 8:00PM. The next time I see it happen I will leave it on the selected channel until 8:00PM to see if the PIN request is removed.
    The point is they updated the EPG 1 minute too early. If they are going to implement a new system like this they should see to it that they do the job properly.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Have you never noticed this before ? The EPG is often out of sync with the programmes, on many channels. You probably haven't noticed before, because the PIN requirement is new.

5. fortean

fortean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Yes I have noticed it Nick, but it is more critical now as the screen goes blank until the PIN is entered. I wasn't watching the TV as it happened but I think there was a film trailer on at the time which was just cut off by a blank screen and a PIN request. I would think that if this started to happen during an advert the advertiser would have plenty to say about it.
    This is clearly an area where Sky needs to be more careful about EPG timing.