Question Sky engineer visit ETA

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Chris D, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Chris D

Chris D
    Developer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Does anyone have any idea what the typical expected wait time for a Sky engineer is?

Our Sky Q box is totally nackered. Looks like it could be a hard drive issue but won't even boot to watch live TV anymore.

I've booked the earliest engineer appointment they had which is in TWO WEEKS - July 22nd.

I'm flabbergasted. Maybe this is normal. I've been lucky that I've never had to book a Sky engineer before.

To be clear, due to this being a new build property and we've always had Sky, we never bothered to get an aerial fitted. So when I say we'll be without TV for two weeks, we will literally be without TV entirely for two weeks.

We'll find some way to cope with on demand, and laptops and phones etc. but we should be expecting a better level of service, right?

2. Venomx999

Venomx999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Both times I had sky out, once to install 1TB and the second was 2TB

Waiting time here earliest was 10 days

3. Chris D

Chris D
    Developer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Great. Guess I'll just suck it up and wait then.

I have at least been able to get Live TV working by removing the hard drive.

Hard drive can't cause Sky Q box to stop booting if there's no hard drive.

[​IMG]

Of course it's next to useless in this state.

4. clayton

clayton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I phoned Saturday & have an engineer coming Friday, hard drive is no longer able to record,

Have you tried this.. All recordings will be wiped but it might get your system working again.

To reset the hard drive:
    1. Press the Home button on your Sky Q remote, highlight Settings then press 0,0,1 and Select.
    2. Select Reset and scroll to Reset hard drive. ...
    3. Wait for the on screen instructions to disappear then press Home on your Sky Q remote.

5. Chris D

Chris D
    Developer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Thanks Clayton.

Yeah I have tried. The annoying thing is, the box crashed last night so I restarted it. When it (eventually) came back, it reported a hard disk issue. So I followed their support guide to the letter:

Sky Q Hard Disk error messages | Sky Help

Including doing another restart. Alas it never came back, so I could never do the hard drive reset.

But, to be honest, I don't think it would make a difference. I think I can hear the drive clicking when it powers up and down and it certainly seems like a hardware issue.

I've tried connecting it to my PC just to see if it's detected, and, again, I can hear a weird click when it powers up then it seems to just die and doesn't get detected as a drive on the PC.

I do have a spare drive to put in, but it doesn't get detected. I think the drive needs a certain structure and certain partitions and formatting, and perhaps has a certain amount of metadata to identify it as an "official" drive so that's probably a non-starter.

Of course I shouldn't be doing any of this given that the boxes belong to Sky. But the more I think about it, the more it is absolutely scandalous that I have to wait 2 weeks for an engineer visit. The engineer probably won't even replace the hard drive - he'll replace the entire box. And I know from experience that the box itself has a very minimal process for setting up. Essentially I have to wait two weeks without proper TV for an engineer to come and plug a new box in and switch it on. Joy.

Of course the hard drive is also very easy to replace. They could send a new drive out within a couple of days with replacement instructions and a box to send the old drive back. But, no, much better use of everyone's time and their money to send an engineer out.

6. Chris D

Chris D
    Developer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I've managed to source the exact same make and model drive that's already in the box. It's in refurbished condition. It only cost £30, but have to wait a few days for delivery.

If it works, great, I'll just swap the drives back before the engineer visit, and then I'll have a spare in case it happens again.

If it doesn't work, well, £30 for a 2TB hard drive isn't too bad, and fairly confident I could resell it if it ends up being no use!

7. Chris D

Chris D
    Developer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    So, as it turns out, I've actually had the engineer visit already.

The engineer visit went ahead on the 13th July - about 5 days after I reported the fault and nearly 10 days before the original appointment.

This happened almost entirely by accident.

After making a big fuss about waiting until the 22nd July, I realised we weren't actually in on 22nd July

:facepalm:

I got this text message from them on the day:
    So I logged on to trackmyorder and that's when I found that rather than the earliest engineer visit being the 22nd or 23rd, it was actually the 13th.

So, I booked it for the 13th.

I can only assume the schedules changed or engineer availability otherwise changed and suddenly the earlier date was available.

Ultimately, I'm happy, but somewhat frustrated that had I not checked again, I'd still be without TV now.

Well... kind of...

The hard drive I ordered? We only got a couple of days use out of it, but it worked! So we'll keep it as a safe in case we have problems again.

Hope this helps anyone else with Sky Q and/or engineer problems!

8. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,651
    What did he do?
    Replace the box?

9. Chris D

Chris D
    Developer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Indeed.

Which is actually more involved than I gave it credit for. I mean, I could still do it; it doesn't seem to take much to pair the viewing card, set up the WiFi and then change some settings.

It seems like a customer self-replacement programme wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

We did get the newer style remote (probably not that new anymore, had Sky Q since day 1 so we only ever had the original touch only remove; it seems they now ship a hybrid which can be activated for touch controls but otherwise everything is split into distinct pressable buttons) and we got to keep the original remote which apparently can be paired to Sky Q mini boxes.

But, of course, it would have been far easier to replace the hard drive and even less likely to require an engineer visit.

For reference, you need a Torx/Security screwdriver, to undo a single screw, slide the old hard drive out, and slide the new hard drive in. When it boots it will claim there is a hard drive error. You then just reset the hard drive and that's it.

I'm not sure how flexible the boxes are in terms of what hard drives they can or can't take. My first attempt was with a spare SSD hard drive I had which would not get detected. The hard drive I ordered was a Seagate 2000GB Video hard drive (common in CCTV systems) and that worked. Does the box attempt to verify the size/manufacturer/model of the hard drive? That could be plausible, and would of course be a way to stifle self-upgrades. I haven't actually checked what's in the new box or whether the spare hard drive works in there, but it would be interesting.

I'll report back if I find time to do that.

10. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,792
    He wasn't an engineer.:)

11. Chris D

Chris D
    Developer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Do Sky have a team of engineers and non-engineers? What's the difference?

12. winston2010

winston2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    Their engineers are in Osterley and have professional qualifications (assuming they have any engineers at all).
    Their non-engineers (installers) go to customers houses. They probably have no formal qualifications, except health and safety ladder training.

13. rs101

rs101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    And if they want, Sky can call them engineers. It's not a protected job title in the UK, so there's absolutely no legal reason anyone can't use that title for whatever they want. ( Engineering Council )

14. winston2010

winston2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    That may be so, but it does not make it right. The Engineering Council are wrong as well in my opinion.

15. rs101

rs101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    That's your opinion, which carries no more or less weight than anyone else's on this forum.

16. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,792
    But it's silly to call them what they're not .