Sky engineer extra cable

Jamesmurphy24

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am due to be having sky q installed next week and wondered do any of you think If I slipped the engineer 10 quid would he run a cable to my kitchen as I have just installed a tv with a freesat tuner and I am currently using an indoor aerial on it which gives shocking reception not interested in an extra mini as it is only ever used by the wife for bbc itv etc

Why bother when you can have a SkyQ mini?

Why bother when you can have a SkyQ mini?
Realistically you can only run 2 minis off of the main box and there is my bedroom and the kids room beside I would like to run the kitchen tv independently especially as bbc1 and itv are the only channels watch on it during the morning anyway along with the occasional music channel

It should be fine and you'll likely find no bribe is needed. You will however need the hybrid lnb installed to run q along with a standard receiver. You should add this now to ensure they have one on the install date.

Just be nice to the engineer, maybe make them a brew and a biscuit and they will probably be more than accommodating to your needs.

Last edited:
Call him Mr Engineer. :laugh:

It should be fine and you'll likely find no bribe is needed. You will however need the hybrid lnb installed to run q along with a standard receiver. You should add this now to ensure they have one on the install date.
How do I do this do I need to order one online

How do I do this do I need to order one online
Also wouldn’t they already have one?
A previous engineer at my mums house installed a hybrid lnb there out of laziness as there was two double shotgun cables (one for her bedroom and one for the living room) and he couldn’t be bothered finding out which one was which do a lot of engineers do this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also wouldn’t they already have one?
A previous engineer at my mums house installed a hybrid lnb there out of laziness as there was two double shotgun cables (one for her bedroom and one for the living room) and he couldn’t be bothered finding out which one was which do a lot of engineers do this?

Are people lazy at their job if they can be? Absolutely.

But this could also mean they were too lazy to restock their supply of hybrid LNBs. :rotfl:

You can contact them and let them know what setup you need, or take your chances with the installer on the day.

Are people lazy at their job if they can be? Absolutely.

But this could also mean they were too lazy to restock their supply of hybrid LNBs. :rotfl:

You can contact them and let them know what setup you need, or take your chances with the installer on the day.
I’m thinking if using one of my old hd boxes in the kitchen on single feed mode as the amount of channels on the freesat epg is falling not a single music channel left which I would watch quite a lot in the kitchen if i could

I’m thinking if using one of my old hd boxes in the kitchen on single feed mode as the amount of channels on the freesat epg is falling not a single music channel left which I would watch quite a lot in the kitchen if i could
Might just order an old style digibox or see if my mum has one in the loft think she has a pace 2600 as a sky+hd box is quite bulky for the kitchen

Last edited by a moderator:
As you can only watch FTA content on a sky-HD box without a card, you can watch all of them using a freesat box using non Freesat mode.

I’m thinking if using one of my old hd boxes in the kitchen on single feed mode as the amount of channels on the freesat epg is falling
You do not get a Freesat EPG on a Sky box. What you do get is Freesat from Sky which is an entirely different beast with a whole bunch of channels that you can't watch cluttering up the Sky EPG. Moreover, a box in non-Freesat mode, as suggested above by GLT, will get you channels that you can't get on the Freesat EPG.

You do not get a Freesat EPG on a Sky box. What you do get is Freesat from Sky which is an entirely different beast with a whole bunch of channels that you can't watch cluttering up the Sky EPG. Moreover, a box in non-Freesat mode, as suggested above by GLT, will get you channels that you can't get on the Freesat EPG.
The tv in the kitchen is an LG one I purchased (coincidentally the one sky was giving away for Black Friday with an inbuilt freesat tuner) I was sent a new viewing card so might use the old one in an old box and set up a favourites list of watchable channels or see if I can manually tune in a list of satellite channels in non freesat mode to suit us but I’m not sure yet

Why don't you just use the LGs sat tuner as you suggested? No ugly Sky box with its power gobbling 'standby' power usage (60 x the LG standby power). C'mon now, you know it makes sense.
The LG has a non-Freesat mode as well as Freesat if you feel a little more adventurous. (and you can watch everything on the FS EPG) How many free channels do watch that are not on the Freesat EPG?

Ah, then if they are transmitted from the sat at all, the LG in Non-Freesat mode will tune them. LG call it 'Other operators' when you go to a sat Auto Tuning, or do you already know that?

Yeah I think I know what to do it seems straightforward enough if I don’t I’ll let you know there must be a YouTube tutorial or something

Hi everyone,
I am due to be having sky q installed next week and wondered do any of you think If I slipped the engineer 10 quid would he run a cable to my kitchen as I have just installed a tv with a freesat tuner and I am currently using an indoor aerial on it which gives shocking reception not interested in an extra mini as it is only ever used by the wife for bbc itv etc

You won't get an engineer. Sky don't use them for installations, they use installers.

But call them engineers because they can.:rotfl:

Because it sounds more impressive than 'Installer'.
Enough already!

Because it sounds more impressive than 'Installer'.
Enough already!
Well the miserable ****! He seemed nice enough but never mind the extra cable! Apparently because my aerial fell down it is unsafe to access the dish( the chimney is really the only place it can go seeing as I live in a converted bungalow) so he installed another sky dish on my chimney breast, only on the bit facing frontways inside of the bit on the right side, that’s two right beside each other because he couldn’t lift up an aerial and toss it over the other side what a joke!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom