SKY Engineer damaged my equipment !

ukroadster

Ex Member
Reaction score
:eek: :rolleyes: Had a Sky engineer come and replace a faulty Amstrad sky + box (vertical Banding issue) on 24/09/05 just before we went on hols to Cyprus.

I got him a drink while he comnnected the new box up.

When I came in to the lounge I noticed that he had pulled the existing sky+ box out of my unit with the Sony DVD recorder below it and had them angled at 45 degrees and had then put the new bow on top of them to match the sky box connections up. (all stood on their fascias)

He did this without disconnecting the sony dvd recorder as the wires travelled through the unit and there is a 42" plasma sat on top of the unit.

I would have pulled the unit away from the wall if he had waited.

He set the new Sky box up and I concentrated on checking the picture quality and function of the new box (a refurb Pace).

Once I was happy with the new box he left.

A couple of hours later I went to realign the new skybox and dvd recorder in the unit.

I immediately noticed 2 pretty bad scratches on the dvd recorder fascia through the silver down to the plastic . :( :devil:

This corresonds witha sharp edged plastic peice on the underside of the sky box at the front edge:rolleyes: The sky box has obviously slid forward over the angled fascia of the Sony DVD Recorder and Gouged it.

Made a couple of calls to sky before we went on hols on the Saturday to try and get the engineers contact number but just got passed around.

The Sony is only 3 months old and I am not a happy chappy.

Any comments and help appreciated on what course of action I can take and whats likely to happen.

Rang again today (just got back from hols) and got passed around again until finally someone decided to deal with it. Apparently they are going to contact the engineer's company who have 7 days to respond.

Any guidance appreciated.

Hi
Surely you signed a docket which in past experience has always had the engineers details?
The problem is I guess your word against his, he is gonna deny he did it, where do you go from there?

Sorry I cant help further but consult the docket if you can. Good luck clearing it!

Tone

Sucks, :( i had a couple of guys come out to fit a freeview arieal and rewire my sky + V1 last Friday and have since noticed an inch long crack in the front panel on the corner of the sky box, Its hard to notice unless you look up close but it looks nasty, and my dilmea is, was it there before they even came etc :rolleyes:

I may ring and ask, perhaps they will admit it directly, same with you, since you were visited by an actual sky employee i would imagine you will be compensated.

andrewjh009 said:
....... since you were visited by an actual sky employee i would imagine you will be compensated.

I think you'll find that Sky subcontract all their install engineering work.

Unless one makes a complaint at the time, I think the signing off of the paperwork is acceptance of the work carried out to your satisfaction.

But that wouldn't stop me kicking up a fuss with Sky though!

Hi

No docket - he had one of those pda type devices which you sign the screen on to say your happy with the new sky box.

I do have the company name now following tonights conversation with sky.

Hopefully sky will mediate with this company as my contract is with sky and not the third party engineer. Sky also have a record of our phone calls onthe day to try and get this sorted out before we went on holiday.

I am not going to let this drop so will have to wait and see but I hate waiting.

I find this sort of thing really annoying - had a similar thing happen with a new car (MR2 Roadster)that went to the dealers to check a power steering pump noise. It was only a week old and when the service manager got in the car to check it he fell down awkwardly into the seat (low slung car) as he had a dodgy back. Thought nothing of it until I got home and noticed a 4 inch scrape on the leather seat bolster. They tried to deny it but it was pretty obvious as he was still wearing a large bunch of keys attched to his belt that had scratched the seat.

You cant check absolutely everythimg, every time you have something repaired - more often than not you are concentrating on getting the problem fixed and can easily miss additional damage done.

The Sony is only 3 months old and was as new ( as all my stuff is) before the sky engineers visit but like you say I can see them trying to deny it.

Fingers crossed for now until I hear back from sky in the next 7 days.

Malice said:
I think you'll find that Sky subcontract all their install engineering work.

Maybe i'm just a little tired but that came across a little offensively, an easy mistake to make when the guys have been seen in the local area with sky labelled vans etc.

It's not all subcontracted afaik, apparently some of the engineers work for Sky. Either way if you called Sky out then your complaint is right to be raised with Sky and they should deal with it - they may not be able to give you a new DVD recorder, but they can certainly discount your viewing substantially at virtually no actual cost to them, if this is a compromise you can accept - I am also about to have a bit of a legal wrangle with a courier company about a signed for parcel on one of those touchscreen PDA things and am planning on finding out the exact legal implications of signing a touchpad rather than a document as part of the process if this will be of help.

Ditto the guy with the damaged Sky+ V1 box, a preferential rate on a V3 or a free V2 as a replacement will cost them virtually nothing.

when my sky was installed, it was rather amusing, he gave me the form to sign before i'd even had a chance to inspect anything and he had already put on the form no damage....lol......luckily for him other than a few minor scrapes of wallpaper near the socket there was no damage, and thats hidden so it wasnt a problem.....

for cosmetic damage to a piece of equipment then they would probably give you a discount on something, but not replace it as it still works....altho if it was an aesthetic piece of equipment (like a very very fancy kit such as Tag) then you might have a case.......but if they damaged its performance then definite replace job by them....

oh, thats providing you didnt sign the docket saying no damage first....

I have had a few sky engineers out for various reasons. One of them has actually been an official sky engineer. Made sure I was 100% happy before leaving, asked if I would filll out a form about the service. He had an officail uniform on and took the trouble of putting plastic bags over his shoes when he came in to the house. A total opposite to the subcontracters that have been out to my place and buggered things up :eek:

Sub-contracters are very careless.

They scratched my new shiny dell 9100 :(

Dave-S said:
I have had a few sky engineers out for various reasons. One of them has actually been an official sky engineer. Made sure I was 100% happy before leaving, asked if I would filll out a form about the service. He had an officail uniform on and took the trouble of putting plastic bags over his shoes when he came in to the house. A total opposite to the subcontracters that have been out to my place and buggered things up :eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom