sky+ ebay problem

2scoops

Established Member
Reaction score
I sold a guy on ebay my old sky+ box, the box worked fine for me ( i wouldn't sell faulty equipment ). Only thing is he says that it recieving sky fine but none of the SKY+ features work. Now my first thought was "have you upgraded your account to sky+ ?", he says he went through all this on the phone with them.

What i want to know is has this happend to anyone else? has anyone had problems with just the SKY+ features breaking on the box and nothing else?

Is there any diagnostics he could do to check to prove it's not the box?

thanks in advance!

Beyond checking he's got both LNB feeds properly connected, nothing. Sounds to me like there's something he hasn't done.

Although he may have contacted Sky to pair the card & box, it doesn't follow that Sky have 'switched on' the recording facility. This has to be done before a Sky+ box will record.

They quite often 'forget' to do this part.

Hope this helps.

GG

Yeah thats what i thought, he said he used a third party qualified techie to install it (but for all i know he could have done it himself)

Is there a list of things i could ask him if he's done

new dish?
new cabling?

Also how do you check the LNB's?

i reallly don't want to give him his money back if it's something he's done wrong

Will SKY even touch this as they haven't installed it?

Get him to check signal strenth in Services , system setup signal test

It will shown both lnb inputs if he has both showing a signal then you may have a problem as if sky have not switched it on then he would get the ring this number to enable Sky + services

he probably used the same sky card out his old box i seem to remember the sky card needs to be for sky+.

I had this problem recently when I changed my subscription from the ex's name into mine and had to have a new account. I had to ring sky a couple of times to get them to resend all the data the sky+ box needs so that it knows what it is. I believe there must be a list of parameters that they download to the box, that can be configured in different ways.

Also, at the time the technician on the other end of the phone tried to tell me that my box was not a sky+ one, and they also tried to cast aspersions on my method of purchase!

Best thing to do is give them another call and have them look into it again. It seems it always takes sky a couple of attempts to get it right!

2scoops said:
I sold a guy on ebay my old sky+ box, the box worked fine for me ( i wouldn't sell faulty equipment ). Only thing is he says that it recieving sky fine but none of the SKY+ features work. Now my first thought was "have you upgraded your account to sky+ ?", he says he went through all this on the phone with them.

What i want to know is has this happend to anyone else? has anyone had problems with just the SKY+ features breaking on the box and nothing else?

Is there any diagnostics he could do to check to prove it's not the box?

thanks in advance!

The only way that Sky+ features could 'break' on their own is that the second LNB input fails, or hasn't been connected. Even then, he'd still be able to use live pause etc.

AFAIK, if the HDD is dead then the box doesn't even boot. If it's on the way out, you get all sorts of flakey behaviour when recording or doing live pause stuff.

Sounds more like he either doesn't understand that Sky must enable his account for Sky+ use or he's baulked at the idea of maybe having to pay an extra tenner for Sky+ to be enabled.

So basically you've got an idiot or a chancer. Part of the risk of doing business on eBay.

Gav

ggp said:
he probably used the same sky card out his old box i seem to remember the sky card needs to be for sky+.

The card can be re-authorised for Sky+ use. It's just a matter of phoning their subscriptions people.

Gav

Or everything is fine and the HDD is on it's way out / has corrupt data of course :lesson:

I had a similiar issue this week (couldn't pause live TV, record programs properly) which I fixed by booting the box in a special way to reformat the drive and then again to force the software download. You can find these methods easily if you google!

gavan said:
The only way that Sky+ features could 'break' on their own is that the second LNB input fails, or hasn't been connected. Even then, he'd still be able to use live pause etc.

AFAIK, if the HDD is dead then the box doesn't even boot. If it's on the way out, you get all sorts of flakey behaviour when recording or doing live pause stuff.

Sounds more like he either doesn't understand that Sky must enable his account for Sky+ use or he's baulked at the idea of maybe having to pay an extra tenner for Sky+ to be enabled.

So basically you've got an idiot or a chancer. Part of the risk of doing business on eBay.

Gav

He never contacted my about this again so i assume it was something he or sky hadn't done correctly

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom