Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sky+ & DVD Recorder (RDXS32 or Pan E55)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Biccy, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Sky+ & am trying to decide on a DVD recorder for archiving films etc.. Have been told to look at machines with DVD Ram & the 2 that come with high ratings are Tosh RDXS32 & Pan DMRE55. Am just wondering though if a machine with RAM is necessary as Sky+ pauses live TV amongst other things. Can anyone suggest if i'm better off with just standard recorder? One reason I wanted this is because of my Dig camcorder...not to use for editing with recorder cos its better to do on PC but just wondering if anyone knows wether I can edit with recorder if needed & then use RAM disc to further edit on PC. Any help would be great, ta.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,585

3. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak,are you sure the Pioneer 520 has RAM on it?

4. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rasczak, just read reply & that's told me more than i'd found out in a weeks worth of trawling through websites! New to AV stuff so been going by mag's etc which just give snippits of info. Will prob go for RDXS32 then, didn't realise advantages of storing to hard-drive for editing etc... With regard to camcorder footage I just want to clarify something. Can I use RDXS32 (i-link)as first point for editing & then take the edited footage from hard-drive, put onto RAM disc, & then put that into PC for further editing, & back to RDXS32 etc... I did read the PDF you mentioned but being new/unexperienced (ie thick) on all this, im not sure if i'm hoping for too much from DVD Recorder & PC. Again, thanks for 1st reply, helped loads.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,585
    :blush: Typo. The Pioneer range does not have DVD-RAM support. Will amend the post accordingly.

Yes - with appropriate software and a PC DVD burner capable of writing to DVD-RAM or DVD-RW. In reality you'll probably find you just record the camcorder footage onto your DVD recorder, edit on your DVD recorder (most people find it is a smoother process than on the PC) and the transfer to your PC for 'authoring'. You don't find many people who send the video back to the DVD recorder although it is quite possible.

6. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    Rasczak - are you sure that the following is correct:
    I didn't think that any Panny recorded using DVD-RW? (If it does then I'm in the market for a Panny E95!)

Related to this is there a reason Panny DVD recorders don't do DVD-RW when their PC drives do? Do they feel that supporting DVD-RW would reduce DVD-RAM takeup?

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,585
    Err - don't I feel like an idiot now - another typo. That will teach me for copying and pasting! Have corrected the original post and confirm it is now all correct.

The E95 or any of the Panasonic range does not have DVD-RW!

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,585
    It's a mixture of politics and profit. Panasonic win every way when you buy a DVD-RAM machine - they sell you the initial DVD recorder, they sell you a few DVD-RAM disks (Panasonic make 40% of the world's supply and get licence revenue from the rest), they may sell you a RAM capable DVD player and then odds are you buy one of their new machines. Now this isn't that good from our perspective - but Panasonic aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot unless the demand for DVD-RW is there. And it isn't as worldwide more people are buying Panasonic DVD recorders than any other brand. And general opinion seems to suggest that most users are happy with DVD-R. It's the same with CD-R and CD-RW - the vast majority use CD-R because the latter is perceived as too much hastle (finalising/unfinalising).

The PC market on the other hand is much more subject to the demands imposed by the OEM market. For example Pioneer PC DVD drives support DVD-RAM, Philips and HP support DVD-RW/-R and Panasonic and Toshiba support DVD+RW/+R. And the reason is because it is the only way OEMs will buy their drives. Unfortunately no such pressure exists in set-tops as the vast majority of the UK 'middle class' buy 'brands' in that market.

9. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, sounds like i'll be getting what I want from the Toshiba. Thanks for the good advice, will see how it goes.