1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY>DVD>PLASMA image quality (Pioneer PDP-435FDE)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rajkat, May 1, 2005.

1. rajkat

rajkat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I recently bought a Pioneer PDP-435FDE 43" Plasma, and upgraded my DVD recorder to the Panasonic DMRE85.

I'm happy with the RGB scart image from SKY>PLASMA, but not with the quality of image when routed through the DVD ie. SKY>DVD>PLASMA. I have tried lots of variations with Component/Scart/S-Vid connections, but when routed through the DVD Recorder the image ALWAYS becomes unacceptably blurry/fuzzy.

Reading the Plasma's manual, it seems to suggest I can input SKY & the DVD recorder directly into different AV inputs on the Plasma box and it can re-route the SKY input out to the DVD Recorder somehow.

Any advice? I'm very confused, and will return the DVD Recorder unless I can get this sorted. BTW playing DVD's is fine.

Thanks

Richard

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The plasma can re-route a composite or maybe an s-video signal to the DVDR (sorry can't remember if it can output s-vid.) It will not output RGB for recording. A scart splitter would do this for you, not expensive. Maplins, Keene or lektropacks will sell you the bit you need.

3. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    some tvs have 3 scarts. if u connected sky to av1 and dvd to av3 and put a scart lead from av2 to dvd u may be able to output a signal to ur dvd player for recorderding. i had this option on my old rear pro. u have to select output for av2 to dvd or vcr or something

4. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Cant you put SKY to AV1, DVD on AV2/3 and a scart lead from SKY box's second scart (labelled up VHS I think) to scart input on DVD player,
    This way you should get a direct feed for recording and direct feed for TV.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yes but only composite. To get RGB you need a splitter. For use with a plasma you will need to be recording the RGB.

6. rajkat

rajkat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replies.

I CAN get good PQ with SKY>PLASMA, but recorded sky programs or viewing through DVD Recorder have noticeably poorer PQ (even on HQ record mode & RGB from Sky).

Commercial DVD's give great PQ, so the DVD recorder must be degrading SKY signal. Is this normal, or should I replace it. Degradation is most noticable on graphics that seem fuzzier and more blured (PQ adjustment can't fix this) - Also contrast/colour is much higher than direct SKY feed.

I've tried using both Component Out & SCART from DVD to Plasma Box with no improvement.

Thanks again.

Rich

7. Crespotav

Crespotav
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have also a Pioneer PDP-435FDE. I found out that RGB via Scart produces significant colour distortions after calibration with Digital Video Essentials PAL DVD.
    These anomalies are present in the subtitles of colour movies, that have a pinkinsh or greenish white.

In Black and White movies of high transfer quality like the most recent of the Criterion Collection there is always a greenish bias.

I managed to solve that by routing the output of the DVD in S-Video to the Arcam AVR300. This units converts S-Video or Composite to Component (Y,Pb,Pr) and I feed these signals to the Pioneer Media Box. The greenish tint goes away.
    I believe, now that this unit was not originally designed for the European Market but for Japan & USA, that use NTSC & Component. Component inputs luminance (the Y) and derives Green from Blue & Red,
    whereas RGB inputs the 3 colours and derives luminance from the frequency of the signals that have a much higher bandwidth.
    The information in a DVD record is a digitally compressed representation of Component. When the player outputs RGB quite a lot of processing takes place.

Television broadcasts in Europe are made with video cameras that use the RGB system as their native mode.

If the Pioneer had independent circuits for RGB and for Component, the best way should be to connect the DVD on the Component (Input 2, via 3 RCA video cables) and the SKY to RGB via Scart in input 1. Even if the signal paths are not fully independent, this is the recommended way to connect DVD and Decoder in the Pioneer Manual.

If required you can calibrate the picture for the DVD as "Movie" and the SKY as "STANDARD" or "USER"

8. Crespotav

Crespotav
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This last weekend I had an ARCAM DV-79 on test. I started the video tests in RGB via SCART. Next Y Pb Pr via components and finally HDMI in component mode.

The greenish tint disappeared completely and I even had the impression that SCART RGB was better than Component in a Black&White NTSC movie encoded in high quality from the Criterion Collection.

When I finally connected the HDMI cable and removed all the others the PQ went two steps ahead.

So the Pioneer Plasma behaves like computers : Garbage in, garbage out. After all it is a video computer.

To get the best picture you have to connect via HDMI. I believe that this will become the standard connection, in the next few months and SCART will go away, except in low-end products..