Stuart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm having Sky installed this weekend & am looking to get a 2TB from eBay

As I understand it:

895 = All connections but No WiFi
W = No RF but has WiFi
L = Same as W but no phone socket, eSata or composite

Are there any other differences, particularly in terms of performance?

I'm also considering a 890W with an upgraded 2TB HDD, would that be any performance difference to the 895's with a native 2TB HDD?

Note that there have been two different versions of the early 895 - one with a 1.5TB (commonly called a the 1TB) and one with a 2TB HDD - both with 500GB reserved for Sky use (for "push downloads, EPG etc.).

The upgraded 890W will have 250GB extra user recording space. The 890 only reserves 250GB whereas the 895 reserves 500GB. The only benefit of the extra 250GB reserved space on the 895 is that "push downloaded" On Demand (previously known as Anytime") programmes stay on the box longer before they are automatically deleted (when the space is required for further pushed downloads) - this is not a very important benefit if you have a fast reliable web connection.

The main thing to be wary of with an upgraded box is the HDD that has been used - mainly that it is an AV type drive and not a PC data drive. There is also the remote possibility that future software updates may make a non original HDD partially incompatible - it has happened in the past on both Sky+ and Sky HD+ boxes.

Last edited:
Thank you. That's great info

For piece of mind of gone for the 895w 2TB for £100 as new with 2 year warranty.

I had a 1TB TiVo before & never used more than 60% so 1.5TB usable should be more than enough [emoji106]

Why are you buying any machine?

I think you'd have done at least as well by bargaining with Sky, especially as you're paying for multiroom.

It was the moneysavingexpert offer of £35 for full TV + multiroom. They wouldn't offer anything on top & I'm not surprised at that bargain already [emoji16]

Definitely - you did very well!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom