1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ dropping out through iScan..

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by museumsteve, Jul 8, 2002.

1. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    Wasn't sure where to put this post, but basically I have an iScan which takes my Sky+ into my Panny projector (aswell as DVD etc). Every now and then the screen blanks for a second as though the signal has dropped out from Sky to iScan. Is this a common fault or is any of my equipment faulty. I have never had a problem with DVD or any of my consoles.
    Any help would be appreciated..:)

2. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    When I had the opportunity to try an iScan Pro between my Sky box and an AE100 I experienced exactly the same thing - momentary blackouts.

Since I'd only just got the projector back from the Panasonic repair department I was convinced at first that it was the AE100 which was at fault. But removing the iScan Pro solved the problem.

Incidentally, I was using a standard Panasonic digibox, not the Sky Plus model.

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

3. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    so it looks to be a problem with iScan..is there a fix..Gordon any ideas mate.??

4. CSGardner

CSGardner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a very similar setup as you - Panasonic AE100, IScan Pro etc.
    I DID have my normal Panasonic Sky digibox hooked up for a while - perhaps 10 hours total viewing - but never saw any problems. At the moment, its not hooked up (need YET another cable), so I can't do any more testing for you.

One thought - which input do you have set as priority ? ... in my case, I had to manually switch, so all my testing was done with the INPUT switch set to the relevant SKY input. Might that make a difference ?
    The only other obvious difference is that I was using the composite out (no S-Video) - though I guess Bert was doing the same ?

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    The Sanyo PLV30 and Iscan used to have a similar problem. It would only happen with those two units whenever there was a very BRIGHT image or flash on screen. The projector would imeddiately lose sync temporarily.

This was fixed with a mod to the projector. This is the first I've heard of such a problem with AE100. I think to get to the bottom of it you'll need to be more specific as to what sort of image is being shown on the screen when it loses sync and also wether Skybox is being sent by composite, s-video or RGB down to s-video...This is likely to be the sort of info Silicon Image and Panasonic will need to find a cure

Gordon

6. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    I'll have a good look at priority switch etc.
    I use a Pace Sky+ box using S-video to my amp (denon) and from Denon to iScan. The image loss is totally random and happens on any channels at anytime. I'll make some notes over the next day or so..

7. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    In my case too the image loss was random. I also suspected that a bright-to-dark (or vice versa) image change might be triggering it, and kept a careful watch, but it was not so.

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

8. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    well tonight I unhooked the sky+ svideo copnnection from my amp and diretly connected to the Iscan. No problems at all that I could see. As soon as I plugfged it back through the amp the signal dropped out within about 10 mins..
    So what's next..is this a problem that you would associate with my Denon AVCA1SE..

9. peteS

peteS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use an iScanPro connected to my Sky+ box and I haven't seen any dropout problems. I do have it directly connected (via SVid) rather than thru the amp. FYI - I'm just about to try out Owl Video's RGB Scart to Component transcoder (which will mean I can take RGB out of the Sky+ and feed it as YUV into the iScan (switched via the Denon 3802 so I can run my DVD into the iScan as YUV as well). Send me a mail if anyone's interested in the results

10. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    mate, please post your impressions here..always interested to know about new options..
    I didn;t want to connect sky+ directly to Iscan as I have other units connected via amp. I don;t get drop out with component through amp so now I;m on the lookout for a powered av distribution unit with component and svideo (sub £200) would be nice..so any recommendations are welcome..:)