Sky+ driving me nuts :(

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by colinw, May 28, 2005.

1. colinw

colinw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    My sky+ unit was perfect for a long time, it never went wrong, then one evening while it was recording doctor who i unplugged the unit by mistake !

Now since that day my unit is driving me mad, it now refuses to record doctor who ever again, it does'nt matter what channel it's on, what time it's on, record it while watching it, or sheduled, it will start to record it, then power off and crash.

I have done the 4-0-1 select and reset it so that all recordings are lost and it does the housekeeping trick, i have also done this with the planner.

But it still refuses to record doctor who. ?

I have tried other recordings, different programs etc, and it seems fine.

It's almost like it's remembering to always go off only while recording doctor who.

It is out of warranty (suprise), and i do have a brand new seagate 40 gig hard drive which i could fit. I just have to get a security torx driver to open it up.

Do you think my hard drive is buggered ?

Any ideas please ?

Thanks.....

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    If the only program that you are having trouble with is Dr Who then it's highly unlikely your SKY+ has taken a personal dislike to it. More probably is like many other people you are experiencing EPG/n&n data errors on the BBC1 regions you have tried, or even the BBC3 repeat.

Have you tried recording it manually, the SKY+ may not notice :)

3. colinw

colinw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    hi, no i have'nt tried doing it manualy, but i take back my statement about it only being doctor who, i just tried to get it to record ch4 earlier and thought it was all going ok, but when i changed channel while it was recording i just got blank screen instead of the actual tv channel for all channels.

So something is seriously buggered. i will try and get a torx driver in the morning at a computer fair near to me, and try my new hard drive in it.

See if that makes any difference, at least i can eliminate the hard drive then.

Cheers for the reply anyway.....

4. grahamb

grahamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, my first post.
    My SKY+ driving me nuts to - it no longer records.
    I was watching BBC1 and recording C4 Big brother for my daughter Fri 29/5. At 10pm deleted earlier BBC1 recording in EPG and switched back to BBC1. Screen froze and lost all controls. Unplugged box to reboot. On boot up, nearly full Planner had been completely cleared and no signal on second LNB. Any attempt to set recording or even reminder fails with message to call Sky. Box is 18 month old Sky + version 2 (white).
    I'll try swapping the LNB feeds to see if that swaps the no signal.
    I have had previous problems recording when planner is nearly full. The program records but on playback it freezes every few minutes, with older recordings still OK.
    Then a few weeks ago, the box locked up on recording a film. When deleting the failed recording, the disk space was not released and the disk space bar has an area between the last recording and the free space.
    So I'm not too happy. Any suggestions gratefully received.
    Thanks.

5. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    This sounds almost identical to what happened to my sky+ box. I think you'll find that swapping the lnb around will not change anything: you'll get no signal on input 2. I'm pretty sure that your hard disk is banjaxed. Mine was under guarantee when it went and they replaced the box. I'm sure if you look in other threads/on google you'll find lots of places that tell you how to replace the drive.

6. grahamb

grahamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Thanks.
    I swapped the LNB around and still input 2 was not locked.
    I tried a planner reset and then full system reset to no avail.
    I thought I'd try Sky before ordering a new drive. They took me through the full system reset again and the box now works!!!
    The only difference was that they first did a reboot with the viewing card removed.

However, I have now caught the upgrade bug from reading other threads and the sticky. The most important consideration seems to be to be very careful with 7200 rpm drives as they use more power and produce a lot more heat than 5400rpm drives.

Cheers.

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If I were upgrading my box now, I'd choose a 100GB or 160GB 5400 rpm drive. I currently have a 200GB 7200 rpm drive, and it has never been more than 60% full, so I'm wasting all that heat.

8. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

You can get a 160gb 5400 quickview maxtor drive at www.technoworld.com
    Highly recommended for pvrs, ive had no probs at all with it. :D

9. grahamb

grahamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sky+ failed again. Lost LNB2 Input, cannot record / set reminders.
    Had to do full system reset to get it working. Now records but most recordings freeze on playback.
    The box was running very hot, then box locked up with record light on. Then fan came on and box cooled down quite quickly.

Sky callout is £65, although if they cannot fix it they will replace it. I spoke to second line support who suggested I upgraded the drive and replaced the fan. Fan speed should be progressive so may be sticky.

So plan is to investigate / replace the fan first, then upgrade the hard disc.

Thanks br14n for the drive advice. This seems the safest bet as per recommended drives thread.
    I'll let you know how I get on.