Sky+ Dolby Digital stopped working?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by jimbo, Jul 7, 2003.

1. jimbo

jimbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the new Sky+ box with an optical cable plugged into a Marantz dolby digital amp. For about a week I was able to watch films in dolby digital but now when I try and watch a dolby digital programme there is no sound?? The sound is fine on all other channels.

Is the Sky box faulty?

Jimbo

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Read a few complaints about DD on the SKY+ over the last few weeks, seems to be a problem at source or generic to the hardware/software. Seems to be more of an issue with version 2 boxes.

3. eMonk

eMonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This seems to be a problem with the box software (possibly initiated by a glitch in the signal). Whatever the cause, the DD output of any channel seems to get shut down, if you change back to normal stereo it'll be fine. Change back to DD it'll still be broken.

Switch the box off at the mains (not just standby). Give it a couple of seconds then restart.

4. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    I also have had this problem :mad: It's a real pain in the you know whats.
    It is the new box i have also.
    Has anyone phoned those really nice people at sky about this problem?

Adrenochrome.

5. jimbo

jimbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tip, I unplugged the box and plugged it in again and it is fixed!!!

I hope I am not going to have to do this every day/week though?

Jimbo

6. eMonk

eMonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think it's that bad. I've only had to do it once so far (had the box about a month). Used to get similar problems on the old digibox - EPG would stop working until the box was fully reset for example. Hopefully Sky will get it sorted in a software upgrade.

Give them a call and complain though... you may get some cash back. After all, as far as you know you were unable to watch Premier 1,2, and 3 for which you had paid. Plus, bringing it to their attention may get it fixed faster.

7. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Very rarely the Dolby digital sound on my box cuts out just for a second then comes back on. This only seems to be on recorded progs. My amp has a big blue light on when receiving a digital 5.1 signal and this never flickers so I am assuming it is not a problem with my equipment? The picture is perfect. I have checked and it seems to be all the sound that goes, analogue and digital.

Cheers

Dave

8. eMonk

eMonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave,
    This is most likely a temporary glitch in the signal. The DD signal is encoded as blocks of data, so if a block becomes corrupted, it will take out a noticeable chunk of sound. I forget exactly how much... but anyway, the thing is that the sky+ box will send a blank DD block to the amp, the amp will play silence, never losing the DD data stream.

As to the fact that this only happens on recorded programs, the only thing I can think of is that the second tuner isn't getting as good a signal. Either that, or it does happen on live programs and you haven't noticed. I've certainly known the sound to drop out for a moment on the old digibox.

Dunc.

9. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Dunc, I figured as much. I have the original Sky+ box which has been fantastic. Even better with 5.1 sound!

Cheers

Dave