1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ Dolby Digital Problem

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by scottymc^^, Oct 14, 2003.

1. scottymc^^

scottymc^^

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

Got a little problem hope you can help

I have Sky+ new box the one with the dial in the middle 6 silver buttons below it the box is white/gray in colour

i have that connected to a sony davs550 dvd system via a optical cable

the other day i was watching 1 of the 3 sky movie channels that play films in Dolby Digital flicked over to sky 1 then back to the movie and had no sound at all tried the other 2 movie channels no sound on them all the other sky channels had sound
    Just not the Dolby Digital ones to get sound to work i had to go into settings for my sky box and change optical output back to stereo from dolby D
    Next day turned it all back to Dobly D and it was working fine again BUT...
    its just happened again do you guys think i got a dud box or is dolby digital that unstable on sky or could it be the optical cable
    mind you i get sound on other channels

Thx for your help hope it all made sense:)

2. big brian

big brian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got the same box mine also does that. I think dd is a bit unstable with sky. do a search on this site and you will find theres quite alot of problems with dd.

3. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    there are loads of people with the same problems with some people getting no sound at all on the permier 1,2&3 if the box is switched to dolby digital, mine is mostly ok but if i channel surf quickley and land on a the premier chanel i will loose the sound but if its left on the channel for a couple of minutes it comes back

4. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I called Sky about this today as it was really annoying me, as it was one of the reasons why I upgraded to Sky+.

The nice woman on the phone (crawler!) told me it was a known problem! Infact, it's been a problem for months and Dolby Digital was so problematic that they have since disabled it completely on all 3 channels that it was available on. If you do hear anything, it's them testing it. Since I didn't have any audio at all on those 3 channels, she said simply turn off DD and set it to Normal in the Setup and I'll get audio back for those channels. It's just not the same though.

They are working on it, and it's a problem with bandwidth apparently - no doubt they will 'steal' some bandwidth from other channels to cope with it. We shall find out in the next software release...

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

She actually said that?
    Hmmm, so when DD5.1 was working flawlessly with the original units there wasn't a badwidth issue then and if it is bandwidth an OS update isn't going to solve that:)

6. xyznicko

xyznicko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think this is confined to DD channels, I have my box configured to standard sound and I never watch DD channels but I get regular sound dropouts via the Optical connection.:confused:

I never noticed any when I had It connected with Phono Lead.

7. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    She said it was a question of bandwidth, but not that they will borrow bandwidth from elsewhere, that was my take on it.

I have since switched the optical output to Normal now and have audio back on those 3 premier channels.

What I think she meant (reading between the lines) was that they are working out a new way to transmit the DD more cheaply. It costs them a small fortune to transmit DD, hence the reason it's [was] only available on 3 channels. When they work out better compression, the software on the STB's must be changed to decode it I would imagine. It may bring DD to more channels, but Supersonic pigs will fly before that :zonked:

8. Warnie

Warnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'm slightly annoyed in that I subscribed to movies on friday night to test out DD5.1 and it worked fine until yesterday morning. I now have no sound at all coming through on DD5.1 track unless i change to normal which isn't why I wanted Sky Movies! I may ring them and tell them but not that that will do any good.

9. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I recorded From Hell last weekend and it was broadcast in DD 5.1

When I played it back I couldn't get any sound though, so I had to delete it.

Gary A

10. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Usually I'm able to recover lost sound either by toggling the analogue/DD output or resetting the box.

However, we tried to watch a recording of Blackhawk Down on Saturday and there was background sound from both analogue and optical but no speech.
    Weird - the whole speech soundtrack was absent.
    Tried the usual stuff but couldn't get it to work.
    Had to just delete it in the end and that was the last time it was broadcast on a DD channel. :mad: :mad:

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Now I've got an optical cable sorted and back on the movies I will record "From Hell" tonight, record South Park tomorrow:)
    It would be interesting to compare notes as so far with my version1 SKY+ I have had no problems at all with the other DD movies.

12. Warnie

Warnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I recorded From Hell last night and it started well - the first 10 seconds anyway ! It then started coming and going in 1 second intervals (the dip in sound that is). it would then play ok for 30/40 seconds and then dip for a second! Very strange !

13. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Same here, loss of sound/data for a fraction of a second at fixed times during the recording
    It's definetly a problem with the source material though since the sound was blipping on DD, DS (Stereo) via optical and Stereo via scart.

Not had any problems with other DD movies.

14. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I thought I would check to see if I couldn't get DD on the 3 premier channels tonight, and it was working fine. LOTR was awesome in DD, I really should buy that on DVD!

The loss of dolby digital on thse channels a bit odd, since I haven't switched off the unit or put it into standy at all since I changed it to normal. Maybe the have fixed it. :clap:

15. ivanwilson

ivanwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fraid not:(

16. mr_blah

mr_blah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also get the same problem on my new Sky box, not that it is important that anyone needed to know that, since the problem is known, but i also wanted to get my post count up. =/ :)

17. porker

porker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I too had the same problem with the three premier channels that broadcast DD and have also experienced whole soundtracks disappearing on recordings, even one I watched the previous day with the soundtrack intact.
    So this morning I called Sky, after first speaking to a stupid woman who insisted I didn't have the volume turned up or had a loose connection even though all the other channels had sound (????:rolleyes: ) I eventually spoke to someone who knew what they were talking about.
    He admitted it was a known problem and a software upgrade that is to be released in December will cure it (we live in hope!).
    As a temporary fix he then got me to turn the audio output to mono and the optical output to normal, reboot the box, switch them back to stereo and DD and then forced a download of the latest software by holding the back button on the box while powering up and keeping it held until the three LEDs on the front light up. At the moment everything is working fine, the missing soundtrack was even restored on the recording I was about to delete. Hopefully we will have a permanent fix soon from the :clown: s at Sky.

Porker.