1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ Dolby Digital Output

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by zippo4, Sep 24, 2004.

1. zippo4

zippo4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    I just connected my Sky+ box to my Yamaha rxv630rds amp via an optical lead. It sounds great but I'm not sure if my amp is picking it up properly? Shouldn't the amp switch to surround sound mode much like it does for playing a DVD? Or am I confusing Dolby Digital with surround sound?

Any advice much appreciated

2. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    not sure exactly about your amp display settings....but sky only outputs Dolby Digital on selected movies (sky movies etc).

The rest of your sky experience will be output in stereo, so use Dolby Pro Logic I/II / DTS Neo or whatever your preference is for surround sound.

3. Machine

Machine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the amp should auto switch, but only if you have set it to do so which I assume you have. You are not confusing Dolby Digital with Surround sound (presumably you mean Pro-Logic), your amp should Auto detect and switch to either of these formats.

Also, in the Sky+ box settings, go to the Sound Settings and change the Optical out setting to Dolby Digital.

I presume you know that the only stuff broadcast in Dolby Digital at the moment is some of the films on the movie channels? When watching other broadcasts you will just get the same Pro-Logic surround as before.

4. zippo4

zippo4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ahh, I see. OK, many thanks.

:)