Sky+ - do i need a phone connection to install?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by zerodegrees, Sep 4, 2007.

1. zerodegrees

zerodegrees
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i currently subscribe to sky (though no full packages, ie. not above £30 p.month) and i realise i'll have to call them to enable sky+ functions.

however, I've just been given a sky+ box for free. Now I know I need to get a new quad LNB (seen them for only £10 including p&p on ebay - are these legitimate?) though I am unsure as to whether I need a phoneline connected to the box in order to receive sky+?

If anyone could confirm this i'd be extremely grateful!

thanks

Ben

2. Kevosull

Kevosull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    afaik, you'll need to contact sky to register your sky+ box with them, but I don't think you'll need to have the box connected to your 'phone line.

I've just taken on a new sky+ box and I'll need it connected, but I *think* you're ok.

Kev 'waiting to be told otherwise :D

3. zerodegrees

zerodegrees
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for your reply!

just spoken to sky on the phone, was told with confidence that if i do a complete self install then no phone line is needed! its only required if an engineer comes out (though i dont know why)

AND (get this)

sky plus is now totally free!!! regardless of whether you have a premium subscription or not!!!

RESULT!!

Ben

4. UKDanny666

UKDanny666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey there
    i used to live with my parents who have had sky for a while, now after the first year they took out the phone line on the word of sky as sky said that you only need a fone line if you are a new customer, i am now in my own flat where sky have said you need the phone line as you are a new customer the feed has to be constant for 12 months after that then there is no real reason you need it unless you order thigs off of box office or the dirty stuff:devil: