1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY & DLP

Discussion in 'TVs' started by lee31, Jan 7, 2005.

1. lee31

lee31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just actually thought, I did have a poor pic on SKY when I 1st got the Tosh 46"er but I had already bought (for multibox purposes) this off ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....7&ed=1103403254000&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOT:UK:3

It increased my signal & quality strengths to over 50% so it may be worth it to you to do the same if you have poor pic

All I had to do, is take off SKY installed LNB & put this one straight on, easy peasy

2. andyxxx

andyxxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lee

I am unhappy with the picture Sky produces on my Optoma RD50 (though found it OK on my previous 32" crt) After posting a few threads and talking to a few people, I was of the understanding that if you can receive a picture (that is not blocking/breaking) on SKy - then that is the best you can get, ie. it is not possible to fine tune/boost it like you can on a terrestrial aerial.

Have I misunderstood? cos I would pay considerably more than the cost of the item you sugest to improve the sky reception.

regards

Andy

3. lee31

lee31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy, all I can say is that I had a very very poor sky signal - literally about 10% of the scale. I never in any shape or form thought this would increase the signal & I wanted it just so I could add another SKY box in another room. I searched the web for the best deals & actually have seen the same item for as much as £70.00 & was delighted to get it for £17 (inc delivery) from ebay & even more delighted to see that it also increased both my signal & quality strengths to over 50% of the scale in the SKY menu

Well worth £17.00

4. Warp

Warp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    On a related note, does anyone know (or can guess) whether we will need to install a new LNB to be able to receive SKY HDTV in 2006?

5. lee31

lee31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point, would have said yes but I presume SKY will do a full package at the time. SKY+ HDTV & Install probably looking at a good few hundred quid !

I hope new HDTV SKY box will have HDMI in aswell as out as TV only has 1 HDMI port & I already use it for DVD player, if not, I presume I'll have to upgrade my amp so it has 2 or mor HDMI inputs !

6. andyxxx

andyxxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lee

I hear what you say about the signal and quality strength increasing in the setup menu, but does this also translate to a noticeable increase in picture quality?

7. -TYN-

-TYN-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    A higher signal strength will not improve picture quality only make it more stable. As it is digital the higher signal strength (mine is now at strength 100% - quality 95% and never really changes) will just result in less break-up or picture loss. I had a 1.2m dish with high quality lnb fitted which results in the same picture quality but never seems to break up even with strong wind/rain.

Andyxxx your first view was my opinion too.

Hope this helps :)

8. lee31

lee31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed, but remember, if you dont have a strong signal, wind & rain interferance could be viewed a a poor signal ie bad pic so in a round about way, you could say it improves the pic

9. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    The installer who put in my Sky+ digibox (Pace) stated that the output from the onboard Signal Strength display in the setup menu was b :censored: s! "It looks good, but doesn't really relate to the real world."

They installers were using hand-held signal meters for adjusting the LNB/Dish.

I've been using an RGB SCART lead but wasn't getting the best out of it until reading a tip on here, which said to change the settings from SCART to RGB. This has made one hell of a difference on viewing on my JVC CRT - had a good pic previously - now its excellent.

Just hope the pq stands up on whatever DLP I end up with.

T.

10. -TYN-

-TYN-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Tonya you are right the scart option does make a big difference to pic quality as you are outputting from rgb instead of composite.
    The problem is sky pq does not stand up well when shown on any "bigscreen" as the bitrate is so low blocking becomes very apparent, Roll on sky-hd.

11. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    And I bet that "HD" gonna cost about another tenner a month on the subscription! :eek:

12. Bruce1310

Bruce1310
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At least...and there will be a new HD-Digibox to buy. Hopefully there will be deals to draw us in!! ;)

13. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Don't worry about the price of the LNB - think about the price of the box. Your existing box will not receive HDTV.

14. andyxxx

andyxxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody know if SKy intends to broadcast all channels HD? So long a 1 -4 are HD, I will gladly buy a new box to improve my crappy picture!!

15. Bruce1310

Bruce1310
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My guess is they would probably start off with one or two HD channels ie...an entertainment channel and a sport channel. Lets hope they are already building up a big HD library so as not to end up repeating content to the extent that Euro1020i(HD 1?) seems to. I do look forward to being able to watch live sport in HD!

Bruce

16. lee31

lee31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, something like Fox Sports & I think CNN - bound to be American channels 1st

17. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    "not to end up repeating content"

Mmmmm..... This is Sky we're talking about - the company that has "Sky One", who's prgramming is mainly made up of endless repeats of The Simpsons and Star Trek! :p

There's bound to be a high level of "repeats" until the library builds up.

18. -Turner-

-Turner-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky have said they will be broadcasting:
    Live Barclays Premiership in HD, Two screens on Sky movies will be broadcasting in HD, A Selection of Sky one Programs in HD, A Selection of artsworld programs in HD and Up to ten Sky box office movies a week in HD. And more to come!

19. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    LOL
    Almost exactly one year to date the thread was started

20. marty2005

marty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    It'll be a few years before HD $ky comes down to a reasonable price.

you have to have HD $ky+ and pay extra every month - that is a rip off.

They don't do that in the USA.

Rip off Britain.

Why are we called "Great" Britain anyhow? We've not Great anymore with are rip off prices like fuel, alcohol and tobacco.

We've only "Great" for the goverment who can put 75% tax on petrol and the companies who can get away with it everyday. ie. fuel companies.

It's a "great" place to be ripped off and money to be made if you happen to be own a utility company and have three houses, jet around the world, get everything payed for, pretend to pay staff that don't exist, claim expenses. MPs.

I've had my moan, I don't trust the goverment etc....I'll shut up now.