Sky+...DIY or buy from Sky

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by ste1010, Mar 3, 2005.

1. ste1010

ste1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi

I am contemplating upgrading to Sky+ and am considering two options.

Option 1. Pay sky 150 quid plus 10 quid a month for the multi room package.

Option 2. Buy a Pace box from simply digital and install myself.

I prefer the latter as is will be cheaper and I am not really bothered about multiroom and am loathed to give sky an additional £120 over 12 months. Also I do not have a phone line in the room I would have my 2nd box and dont really want to install one.

The disadvantage I see with option 2 is that if the Pace Box goes wrong I would need to send it back etc which equates to hassle whereas option 1 I could just phone sky and they come out (eventually).

My question is are the pace boxes reliable enough to go with option 2. From these forums it seems plenty do go wrong.

I rang sky and said I would sign up if they garanteed a Pace box. Sky said that they could put me down for a Pace and if thet turned up with an Amstrad I could cancel.

What do you reckon. Are Paces the be all and all.

Advice on any of the above would be appreciated

Thanks

Ste

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Personally, I would not want an Amstrad box. This doesn't mean that Pace are 100% reliable either.

If you buy a box from a supplier, they would give you the same 12-month warranty that Sky give. I assume you know all the technical stuff to install it yourself. I also assume that you know that you will have to either pay Sky £10 a month for the Sky+ features, or be subscribing to a £30 a month or higher package ?

3. ste1010

ste1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Nick
    I have a premium package (snigger) and would not pay for the SKY+ features.
    My only thoughts about buying from a supplier would be that the warranty would be a back to base warranty whereas Sky would come out to fix/swap. Technically I believe it would be a case of running a second cable to my dish, replacing the LNB for a quad, and then ringing Sky up to turn on the SKY+ features and marry my card to the box.

Cheers

Ste

4. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    which ever option you chose you will have to pay the £10 a month (unless you have two premium channels).

why not when you order sky + from sky maon about being charged £149 if you want to upgrade when if your a new customer you would get it for £99. then threaten to cancel sky altogther.

they will then give you sk+ plus instalation for £99 you wont be able to get out of the £10 a month though.

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You seem to have all the bases covered. Bear in mind that if your Sky-supplied box went wrong, there would be no guarantee that they would replace a Pace with a Pace.

6. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Yes, a Sky engineer told me that if my problem persisted (loss of signal)
    then they would replace my box with a refurbished one :rolleyes: which
    often had it's own set of problems.

If you buy new from a retailer other than Sky if it goes wrong you will be without for a while, but at least you would either get your original fixed, or
    a new one.

I believe the £99 deal is for a reurbished box also.