• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky+ Distribution over LAN

glennss

Standard Member
Hello Guys,

You seem a knowledgeable lot so perhaps you can help :D

I have a customer who is re-cabling (cat5 etc ) their home and wishes to have a multi room system so they can watch Sky (and other devices) from any room in the house.
The electrician has proposed using a Vision HD system , looks very good and handles HD but is quite expensive.

I thought we could however use a sky receiver card in a pc and stream over the LAN to small HTPC's at each TV but no sky receiver cards anymore :(

I'm now thinking a slingbox would be good, but what do you guys think ? what is the best method for multi room video distribution ?

any info would be a great help

Cheers

Glenn

bryanchicken

I would've thought the cheapest solution might be a hdmi matrix plus hdmi baluns, assuming you have 2 cat5 to each location. Although there are 1 cable baluns too i believe.

Not sure how the slingboxes work to be honest. Especially with regards to hdmi and whether its full quality. You must need something at the other end to play it back too i guess?

tony_park

Hi Glenn,

its possible to stream via dlna, a sky signal from a pc, using a freesat tuner, along with some form of decoder, such as a dreambox, or card reader, with suitable plugins. Check out dvblogic's tvsource

HTH

Tony

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom