Sky + Disk capacity?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Family Guy, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read several times that the capacity of the Sky+ hard disk is 40Gb or about 20 hours. Using information from programmes that I have recorded, I have worked out that the capacity of my hard drive is more like 14 hours give or take 1/2 hour.
    Dream team on Sky 1 is 1 hour long. Sky+ records this every week without fail using the series link feature. Each episode take 7% of disc space. Therefore 10 episode (10 and a bit hours) would use 70% leaving enough space for about another 4 episodes (28% required), a total of 14 hours of TV recorded.
    This is well short of the 20 hours that I have seen publicised several times and could lead to a dissapointed ArmyBloke returning from a week away and missing the footie.
    Is there a problem with my drive? Or were Sky being unusually misleading when advertising this product?:confused: :rolleyes:

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    No, they were giving the capacity recorded at average bitrates.
    Remember every program shown on digital television is compressed at it's own level (Some high, some low).
    Rough example...
    Channel 4......Southpark.....4.3 meg/second

SKY 1..............Xena.............5.29 meg/second

The end result is that it's totally impossible to give an accurate figure of time capacity when the storage requirments of files are random, the best you can do is an average figure.