sky dish

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Rickki, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Rickki

Rickki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, would like to know why I cannot receive sky digi signal is this because my old sky dish (which was attached to the house when I bought it ) is not a digital dish. Recently acquired a sky pace box and want to go freeview with it. I have the old sky card belonging to it or do I need a freesat card to activate it. :lease:

Rickki

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    Firstly Freeview describes the terrestrial digital service.
    Freesat is the one that uses $ky with a £20 Freesat card but no subscription.
    The old card may work for you - depends on its age ; if it has a yellow house on it then you stand a chance , but you probably have to leave it in the box to get it reactivated.
    Your "old dish" may well be pointed at Astra 19.2 East which is where the original $ky analogue service was broadcasted from.
    If that is so you will need to move it to 28 degrees east and lower its height a couple of degrees.
    After that you should receive at least the BBC channels + QVC and other shopping/gambling etc. channels.
    The old dish may also have an old LNB ; if it is not a universal one (9.75/10.6 GHz local oscillators for hiband/loband switched in by the absence or presence of a 22 KHz tone sent up the coax cable to the LNB) then you'll need a new universal LNB also (less than 20 quid new). IT would have to be one that physically fits the LNB clamp on your dish arm, of course.
    Finally , I know I am being pedantic here, but there is no such thing as a "digital dish" - just as there is no such thing as a "digital freeview (terrestrial) aerial. They all operate in the same way.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

3. Rickki

Rickki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chris, its all falling into place as my sat dish does receive the Astr 19.2 sat, know this cause I have one of those German receivers I bought out of Lidl and it picks the Astra up in my old dish position. Card does have the 'yellow house' on it but have to check the LNB. Can u tell me if the coax is suitable for the newer type dish so as not to remove the old one (lazy bugger also prudent)? Again thanks for your help on this matter.
    Rikki

4. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    As long as the coax is in reasonable condition (no sharp angles or kinks and the outer fully intact) it's probably ok.
    The IF-band sent down your coax from the LNB is between 900-2150 MHz ; it is no different whether analogue or digital.
    Anyone who talks about "digital coax" , "digital dishes" or "digital Antennas" is spouting marketing BS - avoid such sales rubbish.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

5. Rickki

Rickki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris, thanks for ur prompt reply and ur help on this matter. If only the weather would improve I would get up the ladder to check this out.

Rikki :thumbsup:

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The LNB does need to be of the "Universal" type for Sky Digital (i.e. it can be band-switched by an external signal). Some really early LNB's only picked up the "low band" and would be useless for Sky Digital. LNB's and dishes for Sky Digital can be bought quite cheaply on Ebay.

7. Rickki

Rickki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nick, bought one through ebay for a tenner. Still raining here though and working doesnt help :smashin:

Rickki