Sky dish with Hybrid LNB to feed Samsung Q7FAM ?

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
There are 2 inputs on the connect box so I can use the soon to be redundant sky feed to connect to the tv , but what about the LNB end , do I leave as is , or do I need to swap the cables to the non sky q connections ?

Also , with the dish pointing where it is ( I hope I don't nudge it if I have to swap the cables !!! ) what will I pick up ?

And finally why 2 connections to the connect box , what will the TV be capable of , just watching what I tune to or what ?

Appreciate your replies :thumbsup:

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
I have read on other threads on this forum that the 6 output auto-detect the tuner connected so no need to access the LNB.
But you will confirm that when you disconnect the Q box and connect the TV set, won't you?

As to the TV it is possible it has two sat tuners so that, with the addition of a USb HDD it can act as a PVR of sorts. :rtfm: ?

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
I have read on other threads on this forum that the 6 output auto-detect the tuner connected so no need to access the LNB.
But you will confirm that when you disconnect the Q box and connect the TV set, won't you?

As to the TV it is possible it has two sat tuners so that, with the addition of a USb HDD it can act as a PVR of sorts. :rtfm: ?

cheers , who reads manuals :rotfl:

TJT1

Not the people who come on forums and ask questions that the answer to which is in the manual and cause other people to RTFM in order to give them the page number for correct answer. :facepalm: :rotfl:

I suspect that what a lot of people would do under your circumstances is to have a trial run and disconnect the Sky box and connect the cables to the TV and see what happens.
It's called "try it and see". The answer to which is probably not in the manual.:)

TJT1

Absolutely right Paul. 100% agree. But sometimes those who ask stupid questions deserve stupid answers, provided the correct smileys are appended. :D

Sensible head - ON.
From what I have read on these forums. there are at least two different types of the Sky hybrid LNB. Apparently the early ones will auto detect on all 6 outputs and the later ones have two dedicated to Q and the others for legacy kit.
So if a transfer of the cables at the box does not work, swap the cables to two other outputs on the LNB in case you have the latter type.

With the dish pointing where it is (at 28.2E) you will get all the free to air channels from the sat group (all those listed on the Freesat EPG, the FTA ones on the Sky EPG and some others) and a bunch of encrypted ones from the likes of Sky. Compl;ete list HERE
As yuou suapect, if you have to change the LNB or suchlike, be careful not to bash the dish about. They are usually fairly well bolted down against the wind and stuff.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Me:clap:. :love: I like reading manuals :love:

Samsung manuals, however, are a type that are a bit of a 'chocolate teapot' from a quick look-see of their website for the model you quoted (after I'd posted, originally).
Like their (lack of) detailed Specifications - I couldn't work out if it has DVB-S/S2 tuners at all, nor how many DVB-T/T2.
Much less if it has freesat EPG; nor PVR functionality. :censored:

Samsung QE55Q7F Q7 QLED LCD 4K HDR TV Review however has some answers if it is the same model range? The discussion thread may have some tips, or be a place to attract attention of other set owners?

I was always taught that there's no such thing as a stupid question, though.
Stupid answers?... ;)

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Thanks , usefully the dish is not high up so if I have to swap the lnb cables they are easy to get to , hopefully I won’t have as it’s an early sky q install , I hope it all works out , otherwise I’ll have to pay for a new roof aerial :eek:

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Tried it and nothing , guess I’m gunna have to swap at the lnb now , that can wait till sky goes off .....

chopples

Distinguished Member
Thanks , usefully the dish is not high up so if I have to swap the lnb cables they are easy to get to , hopefully I won’t have as it’s an early sky q install , I hope it all works out , otherwise I’ll have to pay for a new roof aerial :eek:
If you can swap the cables at the lnb then you should be ok to swap the lnb (assuming you have the original non hybrid one) universal lnbs can be had from Amazon and other places for around £15

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
otherwise I’ll have to pay for a new roof aerial
That depends on your location and proximity to the transmitter that serves you. Loft aerials can work in many places. Sometimes an aerial at gutter level, or lower, can see the transmitter clearly so a self-install outside is easier.

Tried it and nothing , guess I’m gunna have to swap at the lnb now , that can wait till sky goes off .....
Did you do a satellite tune/install on the TV?

Did the centre core actually go in the Connect socket(s) properly? The thin $ky shotgun cable centre core is very easily bent over** rather than pushed into tight new F-sockets...

Check that Q is happy on all channels in case you have caused a cable 'plug' issue?

** (I found that out the hard way)

TJT1

How many outputs does your Q LNB have. If only 2 then it deffo wont work with your TV. If 6 it should work just fine. (They say)

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Sky is working fine so I reckon they must have connected to the tv ok , the lnb is deffo hybrid , well at least I asked for it to be 😳 , not sure about the install / tune bit in the tv , I looked in the menus but couldn’t see anything to do , we are line of sight to bilsdale about 30 or so miles away so terrestrial reception will be fine , thanks for the replies so far , keep the ideas coming please :thumbsup:

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Deffo needs the satellite tuning to be done while connected to the LNB.
eManual page 102 refers to setting the satellite parameters before doing a channel scan.
Page 97 onwards has some channel tuning info... mentioning Digital, Analogue and Cable... but not satellite specifically (but the on-screen menus might, I hope, have a satellite scan option?).

As it's never been tuned in it won't be able to display anything.

The section on recording is poor, too. It states only from the aerial - but as a dish is an aerial that may not be incorrect? As, technically both dish/lnbs and UHF TV aerials are "antennas" - the scientific/engineering term.

30 miles from Bilsdale with line of sight would suggest around 45-46 dBuV/m at 10 m above ground outside. So a decent gain aerial (18-element yagi, K group for today) plus amplified distribution if more than one TV should work in theory. (As TVs need between 45 and 65 dB uV at the input to work best). But local obstructions, terrain and trees all add into the mix.

Lofts lose circa 10 dB through the roofing materials; and signal level also reduces with height (usually) so a loft aerial is probably not practical?

ATV's choice of TV aerials and WHY we chose them - A.T.V. Poles, Brackets, Clamps & Aerials and other pages on that site are worth a read if you want to get Freeview.

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
I have got an old loft aerial that used to pick up all Freeview channels , not checked it for years though , so I don't know if it is any good or not , just checked and bilsdale is about 25 miles away and the base of the transmitter is 350m higher than us and I do have clear line of sight.
as you have seen the manual is somewhat vague to say the least !!! , but after poking around the menus I think you could be correct in that the LNB needs to be connected then into the menus and tune it in , I was hoping that the connect box would the realise it was connected to the the LNB and show it in the options for inputs , appears to be not the case unless I need to swap the outputs on the LNB , that can wait until sky is finished , that's of course unless they come back with a crazy good offer , which they have in the past .....

Attachments

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
No TV made is clever enough to detect when an antenna is connected to it! It's why it's the first thing to do before powering on and going through the initial setup where they scan for usable signals.

If you have spare time it may be worth another attempt?
Also worth getting that loft aerial connected up again? (Lofts are good in that the aerials, cables and connectors are protected from the outside elements.)

Taking the Norton Hill Post Office postcode, that is actually only 17 miles (27 kilometres) in a straight line with clear line of sight. 59-62dBuV/m (depending on which multiplexx/power transmitted). A loft aerial should be fine and digital TV from Bilsdale needed a wideband rather than the older analogue group A so with a little luck will work fine.

chopples

Distinguished Member
I have got an old loft aerial that used to pick up all Freeview channels , not checked it for years though , so I don't know if it is any good or not , just checked and bilsdale is about 25 miles away and the base of the transmitter is 350m higher than us and I do have clear line of sight.
as you have seen the manual is somewhat vague to say the least !!! , but after poking around the menus I think you could be correct in that the LNB needs to be connected then into the menus and tune it in , I was hoping that the connect box would the realise it was connected to the the LNB and show it in the options for inputs , appears to be not the case unless I need to swap the outputs on the LNB , that can wait until sky is finished , that's of course unless they come back with a crazy good offer , which they have in the past .....
Someone else had a problem like this a while back mate, pretty sure it was resolved by rerunning the setup wizard with feed connected. If I get 5 mins I will try to find it.

that manual whilst similar will not be spot on as it refers to the 2018 model (q7fn) we have the 2017 version

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
No TV made is clever enough to detect when an antenna is connected to it! It's why it's the first thing to do before powering on and going through the initial setup where they scan for usable signals.

If you have spare time it may be worth another attempt?
Also worth getting that loft aerial connected up again? (Lofts are good in that the aerials, cables and connectors are protected from the outside elements.)

Taking the Norton Hill Post Office postcode, that is actually only 17 miles (27 kilometres) in a straight line with clear line of sight. 59-62dBuV/m (depending on which multiplexx/power transmitted). A loft aerial should be fine and digital TV from Bilsdale needed a wideband rather than the older analogue group A so with a little luck will work fine.

thanks for the reply , as for your fist comment , I was going on the basis that if I connect an HDMI device it goes , hey there you've connected a Sky box or PS4 etc :rotfl:

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Someone else had a problem like this a while back mate, pretty sure it was resolved by rerunning the setup wizard with feed connected. If I get 5 mins I will try to find it.

that manual whilst similar will not be spot on as it refers to the 2018 model (q7fn) we have the 2017 version

sure would appreciate that if you can :thumbsup:

chopples

Distinguished Member
sure would appreciate that if you can :thumbsup:
Hi mate, I had a look and it appears the issue was slightly different. He had one working input and was trying to utilise the second so he could record but the signal was not detected.

It was actually a nu8000 but he sorted it by connecting the feed and redoing the TV setup and selecting the appropriate attenna

post 75

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Hi mate, I had a look and it appears the issue was slightly different. He had one working input and was trying to utilise the second so he could record but the signal was not detected.

It was actually a nu8000 but he sorted it by connecting the feed and redoing the TV setup and selecting the appropriate attenna

post 75

thanks for that , I'm having at least a 2 week holiday due to the corona virus so I have plenty of time to have a look lol , if this idea doesn't work I will leave it until sky goes off , not a lot of point in messing up the dish end unnecessarily :thumbsup: