Sky dish up, no aerial in room but satellite cable runs into room. Can I get fr

I would just prefer an EPG as I always use it on my sky box whether I am recording something or not.

Do all freesat boxes come with an EPG or at least the ones I have provided links for ?

Last edited by a moderator:
As I said "Freesat IS the EPG", and "it is available only on machines that the company authorises" - they couldn't be called FS if they didn't have it - and they have to show the FS logo, which those in your links do show.
I agree that any EPG is useful for finding out programme information whether or not recording is involved.

Last edited:
Post #22 gave him the answer to that question.
What's not to want is a lot of channels on the list that you can't see.

Post #22 gave him the answer to that question.
What's not to want is a lot of channels on the list that you can't see.

Plus a Sky box, particularly an old one from ebay, will use about £30 more in electricity per year.

Hi all,

I Have the exact same set up -
Sky+ HD (2 feeds) downstairs.
1 spare feed to my bedroom.

I have been using a magic eye upstairs and watching whatever is on downstairs in my bedroom.
Someone gave me a second hand Sky box which I connected to the upstairs feed instead of the magic eye, but the box just says no signal.
I definitely know there is a signal as I watch this using the magic eye.

Is there something I need to do to get this feed/second sky box working?

I only want the freeview channels, any others are a bonus. Just want to be able to watch Sky Sports downstairs and the Mrs can watch eastenders upstairs. We have no Ariel point upstairs.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I Have the exact same set up -
Sky+ HD (2 feeds) downstairs.
1 spare feed to my bedroom.

I have been using a magic eye upstairs and watching whatever is on downstairs in my bedroom.
Someone gave me a second hand Sky box which I connected to the upstairs feed instead of the magic eye, but the box just says no signal.
I definitely know there is a signal as I watch this using the magic eye.

Is there something I need to do to get this feed/second sky box working?

I only want the freeview channels, any others are a bonus. Just want to be able to watch Sky Sports downstairs and the Mrs can watch eastenders upstairs. We have no Ariel point upstairs.

What you have upstairs is an RF output from the downstairs Sky box, not a satellite feed. It may include an aerial (not Ariel which is washing powder) feed if an aerial is connected to the Sky box downstairs. In which case you could use a Freeview box.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply to my post.

I checked the cable and the feed to my upstairs bedroom is direct from the dish, goes out the wall in the bedroom and up to the sky dish, not from the Sky box downstairs.

As mentioned i can get this to work with a magic eye device but watching whatever is being viewed downstairs, I can also change the channels ok.

Is it possible to connect this to another sky box to this connection and get anything to output, what are my easiest options?

Last edited:
I checked the cable and the feed to my upstairs bedroom is direct from the dish, goes out the wall in the bedroom and up to the sky dish, not from the Sky box downstairs.

As mentioned i can get this to work with a magic eye device but watching whatever is being viewed downstairs, I can also change the channels ok.

Not possible, look again. :D

The magic eye connects direct to the original Sky box not to the dish. If you have an additional feed from the dish into the room that is currently not being used with magic eye you can connect another Sky box direct to this. If not run another cable from the dish.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply to my post.

Is it possible to connect this to another sky box to this connection and get anything to output, what are my easiest options?

You need to check again, very carefully. It is just not possible to use a magic eye in the way you suggest with a direct connection to the dish. It can only be connected to RF 2 of the other Sky box. Likewise you cannot get a Sky box to work of this feed, as you have discovered.

i have a freesat box in both bedrooms direct from dish which were working perfectly until we got a new smart tv downstairs connected to the sky hd box now neither are working we changed the Lnb just getting a no signal from dish message any ideas what is wrong ???
any suggestions welcome
:)

You should really have started a new thread instead of hijacking an old one from last year. It's going to cause confusion.

Anyway, the obvious question is: what happens when you disconnect the new TV?
And: what else have you changed?

we havent tried disconnecting the new tv only thing different is we had a vcr plugged in and an ariel cable running to kitchen which we took out and got a magic eye thing to transmit the sky signal in kitchen
(sorry about old thread i was looking for information on problem)

Assuming the Sky box still works try that in a bedroom.

So it's a cabling or connector issue, assuming the new LNB works ok.... Ensure the F plugs are fitted correctly and the cable isn't damaged. You could also connect the Sky box and known good cable to each LNB output to check the LNB is functioning, though cable/connector issues are much more likely.

we havent tried disconnecting the new tv only thing different is we had a vcr plugged in and an ariel cable running to kitchen which we took out and got a magic eye thing to transmit the sky signal in kitchen
(sorry about old thread i was looking for information on problem)

Not again. See post 32 re Ariel cable.

no the cable in the bedroom is a coalax? one from the dish not an ariel cable the ariel was running into kitchen from old vcr but pic was terrible nothing to do with the bedroom which comes directly from dish

no the cable in the bedroom is a coalax?

He's reffering to the Ariel bit of the post. That's a washing powder, TVs use aerials for Freview reception. Coaxial cable is used for both satellite and aerial connections, though satellite requires higher quality cable.

He's referring to the Ariel bit of the post. That's a washing powder. TVs use aerials for Freeview reception. Coaxial cable is used for both satellite and aerial connections, though satellite requires higher quality cable.
They both require double-screened cable because, although LNB signals are higher in frequency, they are usually stronger than aerial signals and Freeview signals are more susceptible to impulse interference.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom