Sky dish to HTPC for FTA channels

sparrow_uk

Established Member
Hi all

I'm thinking of cancelling my Sky+ subscription as most of what we watch is actually on the FTA channels.

I'd replace the Sky box with an HTPC, but need to know if I can use the existing Sky dish to receive the FTA channels. If so what would I need? Or would I need to replace the Sky dish with something else?

Basically what's the easiest way to receive FTA channels on a HTPC?

Thanks

fernandez

Distinguished Member

logiciel

To which I can only add - same channels = same satellite = same dish.:thumbsup:

ChorleyMatt

Established Member
On top of the standard PC bits n bobs, the most obvious thing your machine will need is a satellite tuner - like this one. I have one inside my HTPC but in all honesty haven't used it anywhere near enough to give a fair appraisal of its performance - needless to say I scanned for channels and it worked but that's about as far as I got!

I went with a separate receiver for my sat viewing, the tuner card was only DiSEqC 1.0 which didn't suit my needs (but wouldn't be a problem for you on a fixed dish setup).

sparrow_uk

Established Member
Awesome, thanks guys. You've also answered the next question I was going to ask which was what tuner to get. The answer is a DVB-S. :thumbsup:

sparrow_uk

Established Member
Hi guys

I'm looking for a dual DVB-S tv card so I can watch one channel and record another. As the Blackgold BGT3540 is no longer being made, is there another dual DVB-S card around?
The Hauppauge one linked to above by ChorleyMatt has only one input, which means I can't watch one channel and record another.

Thanks

Alex

ChorleyMatt

Established Member
Pinnacle 7010ix if you can get hold of one? (think it's 1xDVB-S & 1xDVB-T but not sure)

Or, if you want both sat tuners, maybe just two of the Hauppauge cards if you have the space? I went for this one as it's DVB-S2, whilst this may not be relevant immediately I recall reading a document some time ago by the BBC stating they intended switching to DVB-S2 at some stage, but did not have a current timeframe. Went DVB-S2 for future proofing really, and the fact this card also had the option to use a USB CI module - which I also bought but have never used!

sparrow_uk

Established Member
At £100 each I'm hoping there's a cheaper solution than two of the Hauppauge cards.

I'll have a look for the Pinnacle one.

Thanks

victorinh

Standard Member
Hi sparrow_uk,

I guess you know for dual DVB-S card you'll need two leads from your dish.

If you're thinking of getting two cards you can always use this cheap one - VideoMate S350 -, probably not the best but has good reviews in ebuyer.

Hope it helps.

sparrow_uk

Established Member
Hi sparrow_uk,

If you're thinking of getting two cards you can always use this cheap one - VideoMate S350 -, probably not the best but has good reviews in ebuyer.

Hope it helps.

Hi

Yes, I have Sky +, so no problem with two cables.

I saw that card on ebuyer, and will probably give it a go.

Thanks

ninja 12

Established Member
Hi sparrow_uk,

Hope it helps.

Hi

Yes, I have Sky +, so no problem with two cables.

I saw that card on ebuyer, and will probably give it a go.

Thanks

I have a Compro S350 DVB-S card in my HTPC . It is a single tuner card and comes supplied with it's own remote ( I have never tried it , I use a harmony remote )

I cancelled sky as I was sick of all the endless repeats on the movie and hd channels , but still wanted a way to record the occasional programme .

The compro card works perfectly within MediaPortal and also Windows 7 Media Centre . It comes with it's own application , but you don't have to use it - just install the drivers and you're all set for Media Centre and MediaPortal.

I still have my SkyHD box connected for viewing ( it also feeds the tv in the bedroom ) , and use the compro for recording .

What looks like a second dish input is an rf passthrough connector .

satcard1.JPG

What the epg looks like in MediaPortal .

epg.JPG

For such a cheap price , you can't really go wrong .
Hope this helps .

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom