1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Dish left behind

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Monster, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've recently moved house and the previous owner has left his sky dish behind and the wiring to the TV area in the lounge.

If I get a sky STB and connect this up, will I be able to get freeview without a decoder card, when the BBC transmits from the new satellite (Astra 2?)

Alternatively its a Pace box or similar for £100 but I can get an old sky STB for free.

Any advise would be greatfully received.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Freeview is the trade mark for the DTT platfrom owned by the BBC/SKY and CC, it has nothing to do with satellite reception.

If you connect a SKY digibox to the dish (Assuming everything is ok) then you will be able to pick up the BBC channels without a smartcard when the finally go FTA (Free to Air) along with dozens of other FTA TV and radio channels. You can of course hook up any FTA digital satellite receiver to achieve the same thing. Right now if you connect a SKY digibox you will need a FTV (Free to View, free of charge to UK license fee payers) smartcard to pick up the BBC channnels, ITV1, ch4 and Five.

There is some confusion about the status of the terrestrial channels on digital satellite, thanks to the unilateral action taken by the BBC. There is a ruling on July 14th that should clarify the BBC's position and that should lead to a final decision on the FTV status of ITV1, ch4 and five. It's become very messy and perhaps now is not the time to pay for FTV SKY hardware, if you can get it for free by all means give it a go, you can always go for the DTT Freeview at a later date if you are not happy.

3. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks for clarifying that for me Starburst. Think I'll give the Sky digibox a go with the freeview card to start and see what happens in July.

Thanks again.

4. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please read what "Starburst" wrote again. "Freeview" refers to the digital terrestrial programmes that you can receive in most areas with a suitable aerial and a Freeview receiver.

You will need a free FTV (Free To View) viewing card to use with a Sky Digibox in order to receive the FTV (Free To View) programmes broadcast by satellite.

You'll get yourself (and other newbies) terribly confused if you continue to call it "Freeview".

Fman

P.s. Terrestrial Freeview doesn't require a viewing card so there's no such thing as a "Freeview card".