1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky dish installation

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by fungus-fingers, Aug 23, 2004.

1. fungus-fingers

fungus-fingers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Have moved house and cannot have my sky+ moved over/installed because of tall trees at the back of the house. Sky installation guy says trees are too tall for pole installation on roof. He suggested attaching a pole to the garden shed for mounting the dish because there was a gap in the trees which would allow a signal to pass through. This would require minimal tree surgery, just a few branches and some shrubbery to get rid of, as opposed to £1000 to top 2 large trees, which will of course grow again.

Any ideas if attaching a pole to the garden shed will be robust enough? if so, what type of pole, fixings etc and where is the best place to get em (B&Q)?. Could the dish be attached directly to the garden shed? Any ideas greatly appreciated. Life is unbearable without sky+. I have kept my subscription running even though I cannot watch sky.

Cheers

Fungus

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A minidish will be fine on a garden shed, provided that the shed itself is not going to move!

Most Sky minidishes will attach easily to a 1.5" diameter pole. (Some like the Triax version will need a "U" bolt - not supplied with the dish).

If the unsecured section of pole (between mounting bracket and dish bracket) is more than about 600mm then I would use a 2" diameter pole.

I think B&Q might sell the fittings. Otherwise try a mail-order company if you don't have a local aerial shop.

3. fungus-fingers

fungus-fingers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Fernsehman

Many thanks for the help. Just nned to get a little tree surgery done before calling out the Sky installation guy.

Cheers :smashin:

Fungus

4. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,470
    Tree surgery may not be as expensive as you think (depending on where you live). I had 9 x 30 foot Leylandii taken down to gound level last year for around £400. This didn't include stump removal but was a lot less than I was expecting to pay. My guy was based in North Essex & was fully qualified & insured. PM me if you want his details.

5. fungus-fingers

fungus-fingers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Crocodile
    Many thanks for the offer, but I live in Belfast so asking him to come over here may be costly. I'll get a guy out next week to give me a quotation and take it from there.

Cheers

Fungus