Sky Dish + Freeview Tuner but no Digibox - what are my options?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by rjradley, Jan 2, 2007.

1. rjradley

rjradley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, first time on here so be gentle!

Just moved into a new house and have discovered that the previous owner had Sky Digital and had multiroom installed, etc.

There is no standard aerial on the roof / in the loft. I currently have a TV with built in Freeview tuner but I have no Sky Digibox.

What are my options? I'm don't really want to fork out for a monthly sky package as I don't watch too much TV but I did quite like Freeview in my last place.

To watch any form of digital TV do I

a) Buy a digibox and freesat card from Sky / Ebay?
    b) Get a digital aerial installed and make use of my existing Freeview tuner?

Both options seem to be a similar price; option a) means I'll be ignoring my perfectly built in good Freeview tuner, whilst option b) means I have to get an extra aerial chucked up on the roof when I already have a dish!

What are your thoughts? Are there any other options I have missed / should consider (e.g. cable).

Thanks!

N.B. I have attempted to use the dish as a freeview aerial but with no success; it only seems to work when I remove the connector at the end of the copper wire and stick it straight in the wall and even then I only get some of the freeview channels.

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,550
    Buy a second-hand Sky digibox, get a Freesat card from Sky (roughly £20.00) and get an aerial fitted (£70-£100 rough estimate)...that gives you the best of both worlds, you can record one channel and view a different one.