Sky Dish for Sky+ and SkyQ

rossyl

Hi,

I'll be, most likely, requesting an independent company to install a Sky Dish at a new house.

We currently have Sky+
In the future we might move to SkyQ

Is there a dish that would work for both?

Thanks

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Any dish will work for both if aligned on Astra 2. The LNB is the issue (the bit on the end of the arm that the cables connect to).

$ky dish and $ky hybrid LNB has 2 wideband (Q style) and four legacy (Sky+ style). Cables will need moving from one output socket type to the other when you change. Or you can plan ahead and install 4 cables to the one location (2x wideband, 2x legacy).

Insist on WF100 or similar all copper cable on the install (Q goes higher frequency and thin WF65 won't cut it in many cases). All copper is worth the very small premium over cheaper alternatives.

If planning on going Q $ky will install a wideband LNB for free when the time comes on a $ky type dish, including new cable if it is required.

Non-$ky dish (circular rather than oval) will be a bit more difficult and expensive to solve.

rossyl

Thanks.

In summary:
  • Sky dish
  • Sky Hybrid LNB
  • cable WF100
  • Cable run = (2x wideband, 2x legacy)

That right?

logiciel

What‘s the point of paying when Sky will do it for nothing?

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
That right?
Probably. Depends if you want to use the two left-over legacy outlets for sat tuners (e.g. in TV sets) anywhere else in the house.
Agreed - except $ky don't always do a good neat job, place the dish, route the cables, where the customer wants etc.,.
I suspect all new installs will be "it's Q only now mate" too?

logiciel

Afaik new instals have been that way for ages now.
Insist on it being done right, if you really need it at all - I did.:D.

rossyl

It's a good point. I could give sky a try.

It is entirely dependent on where I want the satellite put.

I'm trying to work out if the new house has a TV aerial. If it doesn't i'll probably get the sky dish mounted off the chimney, whilst he's putting up an aerial.

If it does have a TV aerial, I might try using Sky - but honestly i had so many bad experiences. They just want to put it slap bang in the middle front of your house - which just looks ugly.

i'd like it tucked away, where it gets sufficient signal, but doesn't appear as an ornament on the front of the house.

Also - thinking maybe getting a Zone 1 60cm dish. As tired of losing signal when it pours.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
I'm trying to work out if the new house has a TV aerial. If it doesn't i'll probably get the sky dish mounted off the chimney, whilst he's putting up an aerial.

If it does have a TV aerial, I might try using Sky - but honestly i had so many bad experiences. They just want to put it slap bang in the middle front of your house - which just looks ugly.

i'd like it tucked away, where it gets sufficient signal, but doesn't appear as an ornament on the front of the house.

Also - thinking maybe getting a Zone 1 60cm dish. As tired of losing signal when it pours.
Noooo!!
The most difficult place to maintain and uglier than one almost anywhere else in my opinion!
Most chimneys are really not designed for the added wind loading of a dish, either (especially when coupled with a UHF TV aerial)!

Dish on wall needs to see 28.2 degrees East of due South. (SSE) so only if the front of the house is south-facing and terraced need it go there.

Ground mounts can be 'hidden' behind regularly trimmed hedging or low wall or fence. Even a pole on the rear wall to peek over the ridge of the roof is an option that hides it from the road view.

$ky 60cm are Zone 2 not Zone 1 btw and is probably wise with a 6-output lnb.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom