Sky Dish As Aerial?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Cowcorner, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Cowcorner

Cowcorner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :lease:

I moved into a flat this time last year and being an Edwardian property it has many qwerks etc
    However, one strange thing is that it appears to use the Sky dish as an aerial? The reason for my findings is that I have tuned my Loewe Mimo TV using auto tune and it has picked up Sky News, BBC News 24 and Sky One.

When I attempt to tune my Sony freeview box in, it doesn't find any channels :mad: Would this be resolved if I had a sky box instead of a freeview box?

All advice appreciated.

Many Thanks

2. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Has you're property had NTL/Telewest installed in the past? It may well be that you're not using an aeriel feed but the old cable feed which still has FTA channels coming through. However i am surprised that you're getting Sky One.

3. Cowcorner

Cowcorner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I believe that it had a dish for sky which I can see from the rear of the property. The only other weird thing is that it is presented into my living room via a single RF lead!
    Tis a strange setup and a bit annoying that the Sony box wont work.

Do you think it might be worth testing the dish with a 2nd hand sky box?

4. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    It may be worth trying to borrow one from a friend. Could it be that another flat owner has Sky and you're picking up their signal via the RF connection. It would be great if you could track exactly where that RF coax feed is going to/coming from.

5. Cowcorner

Cowcorner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I will attempt to found out some more information and get back to you. I will keep the post update to help anyone else who finds this scenario. :smashin:

Thanks for responding.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,312
    If you are getting Sky One then this is coming from either a cable feed or the Sky satellite. It isn't transmitted via any terrestrial medium as far as I know. That being the case, the other channels you mention are, I guess, coming the same way.

It's most probable that somewhere in the complex there is a distribution system that is receiving satellite (or cable) signals and redistributing them as separate UHF channels - in much the same way as it's done in Hotels etc., - and that's what your TV is receiving.

If this conclusion is correct, then it's unlikely any set top box (Freeview or Sky) will produce anything.

7. Cowcorner

Cowcorner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That the thing, my new place is an Edwardian maisonette where everybody is seperate ie one ground floor, one first floor.
    I have been in to the roof and can see no aerial. I believe that the dish at the rear is providing the signal via the coax lead.

Has anyone ever known a dish to act as an aerial to an analogue television.

:confused:

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,312
    The dish isn't acting as an aerial. It can't be, for two reasons:

1: They don't work in this way
    2: You are receiving Sky One which isn't broadcast in this way - i.e. cannot be picked up with an aerial.

It's most probable that somewhere in the complex there is a distribution system that is receiving satellite (or cable) signals and redistributing them as separate UHF channels - in much the same way as it's done in Hotels etc., - and that's what your TV is receiving.

(Sorry - don't like having to repeat myself)