Sky dish and which box?

Slyce

Novice Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

Just a quickie, I've moved into a new flat and now realised it has connections for Virgin and Sky dish outside.

I ported my Virgin over and was wondering what options I could possibly have in using the sky dish, it's sitting on the wall doing nothing?

Thanks guys
S

How many connections do you have in the flat from the dish (1 or 2) ?

In general you have the choice of using a freesat+ box (which will give you similar recording capabilities as Virgin with a epg you can set series recordings from, for free), or a less friendly generic free to air digital satellite box.

Most Freesat+ boxes require two connections to the dish to work properly.

2 cables run into the flat.

Are there any boxes out there that give me more than free to view channels at all? Also, could the dish be repositioned to another satellite to achieve additional/different channels?

Cheers

Are there any boxes out there that give me more than free to view channels at all? Also, could the dish be repositioned to another satellite to achieve additional/different channels?

Cheers

Firstly there is a difference between free to air (FTA) and free to view (FTV) channels. To watch free to view channels (which are encrypted) you need a Sky box with some sort of card to decrypt the content.

Yes the dish could me moved to use free to air channels with a generic fta satellite receiver. 19.2E is popular because of the free Grand Prix coverage.

Cool....I'll spend a bit of time to see what is out there before moving it first. Thanks.

Can you recommend a box, anything I don't have to subscribe for is good?!

Anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheers
if you are talking about stealing pay TV then we will not help on that score (we would risk having the forum closed down.

Do you merely want to view channels, record one channel or view one and record another? Three totally different types of receiver (single tuner receiver, single tuner PVR and twin tuner PVR). What sort of budget - anything from about £30 to over £250?

Hi, stealing pay tv is not what I said or meant. I just happened to have a sky dish doing nothing with 4 points free, so assuming 2 pairs of cables and mainly wondering if there are other satellites that Icahn reposition to and get additional channels? Budget wise, say less than £150 if poss? Not fussed about the recording bit but that could be a nice feature.

You can point the dish at a range of satellites and receive the foreign channels on them - check lyngsat and kingofsat for which ones.
There are many receivers starting as dm2 said from £30.

Hi, stealing pay tv is not what I said or meant. I just happened to have a sky dish doing nothing with 4 points free, so assuming 2 pairs of cables and mainly wondering if there are other satellites that Icahn reposition to and get additional channels? Budget wise, say less than £150 if poss? Not fussed about the recording bit but that could be a nice feature.
For an idea of what free channels are available on other satellites (your present dish would need realigning) worth looking at try this site (sunglasses needed to view) FREE TOP MOVIES » purplesat.com - Satellite & Aerial TV Installations & products. various satellites from about half way down the page (starting at "13E Hotbird" for your present presumably 43cm dish. One of the major problems with most other satellites is that there is very rarely any programme guide (except a "now and next" on many and occasionally a 7 day EPG on mainly German channels and sometimes a teletext EPG) so often an Internet search on the channel is needed for programme info.

Suitable receivers would be the Skybox F3,4 or 5 (one word name and nothing to do with Sky) from just over £50 (it has a few minor foibles but comes highly recommended for the price) or the Technomate TM5402HD at around £140 - both are single tuner but will allow recording to USB devices.

Last edited:
Sunglasses!

Cheers Dave, that's pretty helpful. I'll check those sites out and pick one I guess, if 43cm is the standard small Sky dish size then yup it is!

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom