Sky dish and free view through same PVR?

Soobruce

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi. Hoping someone can help me sort my Dad’s problem. They have a Sky dish and a free view aerial and a hugely complicated array of boxes to connect it all to the TV and a PVR. The PVR has stopped working properly, so they want a new one.

Ideal would be one PVR where they can record from the dish and the aerial (probably not at the same time - just simpler to only have one.

Is that possible?

They have no paid Sky channels, but there are a couple of channels they can only get on the Sky box (including ITV I think) and a couple they can only get on Freeview (they live in a very hilly part of the country and tv reception has always been touch and go) hence them needing to use the aerial and the dish.

Any ideas or advice for a simple set up gratefully received.

The only boxes that can combine satellite and terrestrial tuners into one box are going to be generic free to air boxes that will be complex to maintain the channel lists.

Freesat and Freeview kit do this automatically. Your best bet is a new Freesat TV which will also have Freeview-HD. These can also record to a usb hard disk. Do they have broadband internet ?

Thanks Graham. Re broadband: they officially have broadband, but like a lot of remote locations it’s pretty slow. Maybe up to 1mbps.

Look into Enigma2 boxes will do what you want and will then be able to share around the house with kodi on android boxes.

Something like a ET8500 will give you 2 sat tuners and 2 terrestrial tuners (which could all record at the same time).

Series recording etc is simple.

To setup in the first place takes a bit of effort but once done it will update itself

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom