Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

sky Dilemma?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by vulkan75, Sep 11, 2003.

1. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok.After a couple of yrs my free sky box is just about to pack up,and it looks like i'm going to have a replacement.

This is my dilemma.

I currently watch sky ,mostly through a projector.
    This is connected to my cheap poxy free 5yrold grundig box via composite.Needless to say the picture is pants.

So I'm looking for a digibox which will give me a realy good picture,possibly with component out.Does such a box exist?

I have just notice that sky+ has come down,mmmmmmmmm?What's the picture reproduction like on this unit/what video outs does it have?
    Its not realy essential that i have sky plus,standard normal sky will be fine as long as it has a realy good picture reproduction+good video out connections.

My budget is around £250

any pointers????:D

2. owenw

owenw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm in a similar situation (4 yr old digibox due for replacement and wanting better video and sound outputs).

Sky+ has Composite, RGB and S-Video. I doubt they'll bring out a model with component out anytime soon, but there is a rumour of 3 new boxes being released in time for Christmas. These "might" have some new features but most likely they will just have various hard disk capacities. I presume the PQ will approach that of DVD, bearing in mind the higher MPEG compresssion used for satellite channels.

Owen

3. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so guys any reccomendations.....:rolleyes:

4. sanderton

sanderton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All regular Sky boxes are RGB & Composite. Sky+ adds S-Video. That's it!

Can your projector not accept RGB? Is there an RGB to whatevere-your-projector-takes converter available?

5. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Dont know about any forthcoming boxes but there was a Grundig Box which offered S-Video in addtion to it's RGB scart.

Also worth remembering that sky+ is the only one that can output DD5.1, a couple of the old standard sony boxes had optical outs but can't ouput the DD signal now being broadcast.

I currently use a JS RGB to Svideo (rgbtosvideo.co.uk) converter to my Z1 PJ and the picture is a big improvement over composite, I was previously using a RGB -> VGA converter and "dropping down" to svideo, the picture is in no way worse and possibly better due to the quality of the JS product. Component converters are available but they're around £130.

The other alternative is to use a de-interlacer like ProV, they're availble for about £100 if you check the power buy on here, you should be able to find plenty of posts on here as to the effect these have on a sky picture when used with a PJ or plasma.

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Alex

The S-Video from Sky+ fed through a Denon amp with upconvert feature is just stunning. If you want to see it you are still more than welcome to come view on a Sharp 10k DLP (You've gone very quiet on that subject recently. Problem?)

Neil

7. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI Neil,sorry did'nt mean to be rude,:blush: i have been so busy working on my extension I haven't realy devoted much time to any other stuff.
    I'm still very much eager to pop over maybe sometime this century.
    wifey is crackin the whip you understand.:D

Anyway do you mean the 3803 i heard there was video conversion on it.
    I was,as it happens thikin on upgrading my sony sdrb940,maybe I could kill 2 bird swith one stone. ;)

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    No probs. Yep, 3803 and A1SR both have this feature. You can see both here. 3803 on 50" plasma and A1SR through Z10k. I've never had such a good picture from Sky as on the Sharp. So combination of video upconvert and CV-IC II scaler/deinterlacer in Z10k doing a cracking job (Most Sky films look DVD quality).

Quick, back to work :D

9. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    How does svideo output compare to rgb output on the sky+ boxes ?

I have a sky+ box and have 2 rgb scarts on my tv and 3 pieces of equipment using rgb.

thanks

10. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr Messiah, do you realize how much envy you envoke in me...:devil: A1sr and 3803,50"2 plasma and a z10k in the same house:eek: :eek: amazing.

Don't suppose you want to be charitable:clown: and donate either to me.

Maybe there will be enough mortgage left to have a complete over haul.

Already thinkin on selling my hs10 and paying the extra for a z10k from price japan:D :D

11. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Come and see it first. I think you will be suitably impressed but then as I have only ever seen a HS10 once I could be wrong. Don't want you wasting your money :)