SKY Digital technical question !

Achy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This has been bothering me for a while.

My dish is quite close to the roof eaves I think the top part of the dish may be slightly obscured by the eaves....does this matter ?

The quality and strength show at about 3/4, but how does the signal work ?

Does the whole dish pick up the signal or does a different part of the dish pick up different channels ?!?

I know that sounds strange but about this time of year for the past tow years (Oct - Apr) some channels go screwy, and by this I mean picture break up, sound pops and squeaks etc. And it's not necessarily raining or windy, it can be a calm, still day and still does it.

This tends to happen even more on any picture that has a bright or white background, eg music videos, snowboarding on extreme sports, box office films etc.

I know the obvious answer would be to get an 'engineer' out to look at the dish, LNB etc but as an 'engineer' originally put it in I'm reluctant to call them out until I know a bit more about it!

Can anyone shed any light on this ?

Thanks

If your signal strength and quality are around 75 per cent as you say, all should be well and there is no advantage in having any more extra signal.

Unlike analogue, there is no advantage in havng 100 per cent signal - once you have enough to produce a stable picture and sound, you don't need any more.

However picture break up and loud squeaks on sound, usuallly means poor signal quality - when this happens have you checked the picture quality in the menu, as distinct from when the system is OK?

You need to find out why this is happening - maybe the dish has moved slightly, maybe water has got into the LNB...

It's a process of elimination - and if you can't find it yourself, maybe a reliable engineer would be a good bet...

Hi,

Yup, I check the Signal Quality and Strength when this happens and it hasnt shifted.

Could it be a faulty box ?

Ok, next question....HOW can I tell if someone is a 'reliable' engineer !?

Is there some kind of guild like the Plumbers Corgi !?

I also have a problem with pictures on ITV 1, and ITV2 especially in the evening and football., The football action have ghosting effect which look like the mpeg have too much compression.

I had a Sky Engingeer came in on Friday and he say the transpondor had missing signal which mean it have 3 out of 4 working, so he replace it.

It slightly improve the picture, but football on Premiership still look crap especially non close up shot from camera.

I will try and find the channel number for other ITV Region and see if it work or not.

I use ITV Central.

Originally posted by Legendary
I also have a problem with pictures on ITV 1, and ITV2 especially in the evening and football., The football action have ghosting effect which look like the mpeg have too much compression.
I had a Sky Engingeer came in on Friday and he say the transpondor had missing signal which mean it have 3 out of 4 working, so he replace it.
It slightly improve the picture, but football on Premiership still look crap especially non close up shot from camera.
I will try and find the channel number for other ITV Region and see if it work or not.

I use ITV Central.

I am not 100% clear exactly what the engineer did or what he said/meant by your post:)
As for the picture quality on ITV branded channels it has never been impressive on SKY D, they don't seem happy to spend any serious money on the platform. Live sport needs a lot of bandwidth and suffers when too much compression is used, ITV football is nowhere near as good picture wise as the BBC or SKY's own transmissions.

Originally posted by Pakehurst

Ok, next question....HOW can I tell if someone is a 'reliable' engineer !?

Is there some kind of guild like the Plumbers Corgi !?

Similar in nature I think.......CAI

Football on itv via sky digital is really bad quality, in fact nearly all live sport is bad on sky digital, although itv and bbc seem worse than sky's own channels.

The fast motion scenes are when it appears worst with the ground smearing into large blobs and many jpeg compression marks around the players.

This is because of the compression/ decompression alogarithm, and can only be bettered by increasing the bandwidth for higher bitrate transmission or improving the quality of the compressor/decompressor.

The best picture of all would be of uncompressed RGB, but it would take enormous amounts of bandwidth:eek:

According to a new neighbour which I don't know very well, he say he have no problem with his sky digital connection and his dish is about 80 metre away to mine.

I don't know how reliable that info is or what football he watch.

I decide to swap around my scart cable for video to sky digital and see if it will improve or not.

Originally posted by Legendary
According to a new neighbour which I don't know very well, he say he have no problem with his sky digital connection and his dish is about 80 metre away to mine.

I don't know how reliable that info is or what football he watch.

I decide to swap around my scart cable for video to sky digital and see if it will improve or not.

If you have any digital picture processing on your TV then switch it all off, even 100hz scanning can make a digital sourced picture look worse than it should.

I don't have 100Hz option on my TV anyway and scart cable swapping doesn't work.

So look like another phone call. :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom