1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Digital Signal

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by chuckalicious, Oct 5, 2005.

1. chuckalicious

chuckalicious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have Sky Digital with a Panasonic D something 31 box. For about the past 5 or so months I've only used it as a free to air box, and the signal seemed fine, however, a few nights ago I signed back up to Sky and now the signal seems shocking.

On channels such as ITV, 4, Sky 1 and many of the higher music channels, the picture and sound keep breaking up. I know it didn't do this on those channels (not Sky 1 as I didn't have it) before. I've checked the signal strength and quality and both are pretty high (one is almost full and the other is a tiny bit below the one that's almost full, sorry I can't remember which is which).

I know if I call Sky they will offer to send someone out at the cost of £60 ish and I know that there's a chance I could get Sky+ and an install for that price, at which point all the cables etc would be checked..... however I really can't afford that extra £10 a month

Is there anything I can do?

2. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hmm, I can't actually help, but I've got an Amstrad Sky+ box and as of about a week ago my picture & sound has started to break up on certain channels too. Not sure of all of them, but definitely Channel 4, The Amp, Paramount & Sky Sports News.

I've got someone coming from Sky in a couple of weeks (I'm only free on weekends :( ) to sort hopefully. I'll let you know of the solution (if you can wait that long).

3. chuckalicious

chuckalicious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well, I called Sky last night to ask for help with the problem....

They said they'd need to send an engineer out to fix it, which would cost £65.

Not prepared to spend that, and not prepared to spend x amount a month on something that stutters and jumps, so I said I'd cancel.... which I would have.

A Sky engineer is coming out free of charge and will replace any hardware, free of charge.

Not bad :)

4. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Excellent. :D

Let me know how it goes then. I'm assuming it's a problem with the box, but it'd be good to know what your solution is.

5. chuckalicious

chuckalicious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    For all I know the dish has been moved (I did give it a nidge a few days ago and it's pretty stiff) but I doubt it.

If it is the box, it'd be nice to know they will replace it.