1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Digital Signal Problems

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by milair, May 22, 2005.

1. milair

milair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had an intermittent signal problem with my Digibox for over 6 months, so this weekend I changed the LNB. For 3 hours after this change all went fine, good signal strength and quality. Then some bad weather came in and the quality vanished but the strength stayed pretty much the same ???? The cable is flapping a bit in the wind and has been for many months - my question is - could the cable be causing this ??? Logic says if it has a break then surely the strength would vanish as well - or is it really down to alignment. I noticed the LNB has 5 skew angle settings - mine is on 3 at present - anyone know the best one?

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You have to adjust the skew for the best performance on both polarities. If you have water in the cable, it can affect the quality and not necessarily the strength, due to reflections within the cable.

3. milair

milair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. The previous owner only used a bit of plastic tape on the connector so it is very likely there is water in the cable. Away on business for a couple of weeks, I'll replace when I return and advise if fixed.

4. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    3 & 2 are usually the best settings for the UK. If the cable is flapping around it sounds like you didn't have the best install. If it were me i would get the dish alignment checked and replace the cable.One quick call to Sky with the threat of cancelled subsciption should see you you sorted for nowt.

5. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ps,get some self amalgemating tape for ther LNB-they don't like water!!(nor does the cable)