1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Digital RGb Connection

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by gchaplin, Dec 4, 2003.

1. gchaplin

gchaplin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Having just purchased a new Sony Wega widescreen tv,

I am considering connecting my sky digi box using an rgb cable. Given the fact that the picture on sky at the best of times is rather poor and pixilated is it worth spending much money on a rgb cable? For my dvd player I have no hesitation in spending £50 or so on a decent cable but is it worth it for sky?

Would it be woth spending that kind of cash again, or just get a £20 one - or even less???

G

2. owenw

owenw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The RGB signal will give you a major improvement over the standard composite (PAL) output.

If you have already connected your DVD player to the TV with a good quality fully wired SCART lead try borrowing it and testing with the Sky box before splashing out on a new lead. Switch everything off before unplugging the leads!

Connect the SCART to an RGB enabled scart socket on the TV (usually SCART 1 but check the TV manual)

Change the Sky output to RGB
    Go into:
    Settings > Picture Settings menu.
    Change Scart Output from PAL to RGB
    Set to 16:9 mode for your widescreen TV.
    Save settings before exiting the menu.

Change your TV to AV1 (or whichever AV input your Sky box is connected to).

You should have a much sharper image. This is most apparent in the EPG and channel idents which tend to shimmer with a poor cable or composite signal. Sky News in particular with its heavy use of bright red graphics and the Sky Active services all look better too.

FWIW I spent €50 (about £35) on a half decent IXOS cable and it did make a small but noticeable improvement over a 20 quid lead on my 36" WEGA.

3. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no need to spend that kind of money in all honesty. You can by a decent RGB capable scart lead for under £20

One thing worth noting is that only the TV scart socket will output an RGB signal. The Video scart socket will allow RGB pass through mind you.

I have an RGB connection of SKY+ through my DVDR. I also have a S-Video connection for when the DVDR is busy. The difference between the two isn't huge I assure you.

4. matvib

matvib
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is it normal to lose colour after switching to RGB. The picture is much sharper, but all the colours go pale:confused:

have tried all the contrast / colour settings on the sky+ box and TV but no joy. Do i just have a crap telly? ( sanyo 28 wn5)