1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY digital - recording programs onto DVD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Lee J B, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Lee J B

Lee J B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Ok, I’m completely new to this subject and would really appreciate some feedback.

Basically, I've just purchased a Toshiba D-R1SB DVD recorder, and I'm getting SKY digital installed into my room this week. I don't have a terrestrial TV aerial in my room (I'm going to using sky for all my TV viewing!). Is it going to be possible (and straight forward!!) to record SKY programs on my DVD recorder?

One thing that I'd really like to be able to do is to set timed recordings. I'm presuming I won't be able to set multiple programmed recordings on more than one SKY channel, as the DVD recorder wont be able to change the channel on the SKY box; am i right in thinking this? Although, I don't know how significant this is - but I see from the Toshiba manual that the DVD Recorder has VIDEO-PLUS. As a lot of sky programs have VIDEO-PLUS codes, will I just be able to punch these in to have the programs of my choosing recorded?

Thanks in advance,

lee

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    The Toshiba DR1 is a good DVD recorder and yes you can record from Sky - including doing things such as pausing live TV (provided you use DVD-RAM disks).

To get the best picture quality you'll need to purchase an RGB-To-S-Video converter to alter the RGB picture from the Sky box to S-Video - I'll point you to something cheap at the Weekend (if nobody else does first - I am away and on GRPS at the moment so access is Slow). Until that time just use composite (video) connections.

3. Lee J B

Lee J B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

Am i right in thinking the connections should be:

TV AV -> DVD AV1
    SKY BOX -> DVD AV2
    ...and Coaxel cable from DVD (RF out) to TV aerial input

Would that work?

And would this connection allow me to program a timed recording? And is this done by pre-tuning a channel for 'satellite tv'?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    I'd setup as follows:

Sky TV Out > Input (DVD Recorder) Output > TV RGB Input

This way you'll be able to play DVDs in RGB and Timeslip on live TV. You will need to set Sky to Video though until you put a RGB-to-S-Video converter like this:
    http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/dept.asp?Hash=207&dept_id=103
    ...between the Sky and DR1 recorder.

I'm not significantly 'up' on the timer features of the DR1 to be able to advise you on timer recordings - you may have to suck it and see. Sorry!

5. QED

QED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lee,
    I dont know if the DR1 can send channel change requests to the Sky box however Sky can change the channel itself. Using the program guide you can set reminders and series links of the programs you want to view. These programs are added to your personal planner and in the personal planner menu you can choose for the Sky box to auto change the channel when the event arises.