Quantcast

sky digital on PC

owain_thomas

I've emailed the Hauppage people but had no reply, so I thought I'd try on here:

Is it possible to get a PC card that allows you to get sky digital and record the digital signal directly? I have seen the cards on the hauppage site which do DVB, and also a common interface module which looks like it would take a viewing card, is this correct? I already have a sky digibox and subscription, so I have the necessary card, is it possible to make my own sky+ type arrangement with a HCPC?

Thanks,

Owain

L

loafer316

I'm afraid not m8...I don't think there is a card or CAM which decodes NDS Videoguard, the encryption system employed by SKy... I don't think sky will release the system details in fear of possible attempts to hack the system.

Anim

Ive just finished building my HCPC with a Pinnacle Rave card (£29) and started recording sky digital no problem.

SVideo out from Sky into Rave Card, Audio Left/Right from Sky into single phono into "IN" on sound card.

Fire up PC Vision software (supplied with rave card) and hit record. Worked first time.

I also download Cyberlink Power VCR II which allowed me to:

Pause Live TV

Timeshift Recording (watch the start of the recording while it still records)

Anim

owain_thomas

what's the picture quality like with that solution, I was hoping that if it was possible to use a digital satellite card for sky then it would be a perfect copy of the mpeg stream, rather than a re-encoded version from a video input. How does the quality compare to other formats? Say VHS is 1 and original stream on sky is 10, where does this solution come?

Thanks,
Owain

Anim

Top Bottom