Sky Digital & NYPD BLUE Fans - Very Urgent News!

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi,

If you are a Sky Digital owner, and are (or wish to be) a fan of acclaimed US crime drama "NYPD BLUE", then the following news will be very much for you! :clap:

NYPD BLUE starts a complete 12-Seasons repeat, as of TONIGHT - Tuesday 8th January 2008! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

All you need to do is get Sky, goto channel 155, and lo and behold you have the new channel "DMAX" also known as "Discovery Max". If you don't have this channel, then you will need to subscribe to it, as it's part of one of Sky's channel packages! (Sorry, it's not free-to-air! :( )

The show airs every weeknight at 11:00pm-Midnight, with a 2:00-3:00am nightly repeat. All episodes should be uncut, due to the late scheduling, but I have no idea what DOG's (if any) will be present.

DMAX also airs "Airwolf" each day, but the show runs at different times of the day, in different sequences: e.g. there's an 8am and 1pm repeat, which started yesterday, Monday 7th, and then a new repeat run, from the beginning of the Pilot Episode "Shadow Of The Hawke" starts tonight at 7pm! However, the Pilot Episode is the cut, TV version, that is in the UK and US DVD Boxed Sets, and is NOT the 18 certificate "movie-length" version. :(

Pooch

pmc

Thanks for the heads up Pooch. I've long wanted to revisit the early years of NYPD. I'm not sure about 1 a day though, not sure the PVR can take that! A couple a week would have been perfect.

vic flange

That's fantastic news, especially as the dvd box sets look unlikely to go past season 4.

Going to have to delete some stuff off my sky+ though.

soundstory

Personally, I turned off towards the end of the Smits era, just seemed to lose it's sharpness.

I watched a few eps of later seasons and didn't feel any different

scrapbook

Distinguished Member
Personally, I turned off towards the end of the Smits era, just seemed to lose it's sharpness.

I watched a few eps of later seasons and didn't feel any different

I went the same way...although I think it was probably towards the end of the series after.

Persoanlly I thought it was never the same after the David Caruso left...not that I am a big fan of his.

I never really liked the Jimmy Smits character...he was just too perfect.

I wouldn't have minded watching the first series again, but it looks like I have missed a chunk of it already! :(

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the heads up Pooch. I've long wanted to revisit the early years of NYPD. I'm not sure about 1 a day though, not sure the PVR can take that! A couple a week would have been perfect.

Much as I love NYPD Blue, I just haven't got the time to keep up with one a day:mad:

soundstory

I went the same way...although I think it was probably towards the end of the series after.

Persoanlly I thought it was never the same after the David Caruso left...not that I am a big fan of his.

I never really liked the Jimmy Smits character...he was just too perfect.

I wouldn't have minded watching the first series again, but it looks like I have missed a chunk of it already! :(

Agree 100%

It all started to feel a bit "comfortable" after Caruso left to "ahem" make movies

ROADFLOWER

Standard Member
AMEN brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what a result! what a start to the new year!

cheers for the heads up pooch!

roadflower

Wild Weasel

Distinguished Member
Thanks, I used to watch NYPD Blue all the time. Dennis Franz rocks.

Caruso only did the first series IIRC. I rented the first series recently. It's funny seeing who pops up in it. David Schwimmer had a recurring role in his pre-Friends days and ER's Sherry Stringfield played Caruso's ex-wife in it.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Caruso only did the first series IIRC.

That's right, I seem to remember reading something about him asking for a big money pay rise and when they wouldn't give it to him, he quit to be a big movie star or something (great career move, eh?:)) and promptly pretty much disappeared without trace after appearing in a couple of unsuccessful movies until resurfacing in CSI.

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Firstly, I'm glad so many of you are enjoying the first Season of this excellent and controversial US drama! :)

Gooner, you are spot-on, r.e. David Caruso. He did indeed ask for a major pay-rise, and when he was refused, he went off to try and make it in Hollywood, in movies. Sadly, this effectively killed-off his career for many years, until he resurfaced in "CSI: Miami"! He was well-known to be a bit of a miserable and hard-to-work-with actor on the "NYPD Blue" set, but this was tolerated, purely for the fact he gives a very good performance in the series. Sadly, with that, and the request for a big payrise, he was told where to go, which is a shame, because his character was truly great, and he and Dennis Franz made a good pair of cops together.

As for Jimmy Smits, in Season 2-6, he wasn't as good as Caruso's character, but he was certainly a good moral compass for Sipowicz (Dennis Franz) in these Seasons, especially when Sipowicz's life starts to crumble. I won't spoil it for anyone who doesn't know, but Seasons 2-6 really become big issues for Sipowicz, as he is put through the grinder. If you think Season 1 was hard going for Andy, wait till you see what happens to him throughout the rest of the show's long history! ;)

Pooch

D

dude1971

The funny thing about Caruso in CSI is that his character is supposed to be from NYPD:Blue as when he greated another former cast member, I'm sure that they discussed the "New York office".

It's a shame that the final episode after the show finished, narrated by Jimmy Smits, was never shown in the UK as it was a fantastic trip down memory lane!

Wild Weasel

Distinguished Member
Yeah, it seemed to end very abruptly here. I don't think C4 showed the last couple of series at all.

Caruso had one promising TV series before CSI:Miami, "Michael Hayes" which was unfortunately canned after the first series. It ended with him in the cross hairs of a sniper, so I guess we'll never know if he survived or not. :D

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Yeah, it seemed to end very abruptly here. I don't think C4 showed the last couple of series at all.

No, they didn't:mad:

They eventually turned up last year (3 or 4 years late) on More 4, I think they were showing an episode a day or something, certainly at least 2 or 3 a week.

D

dude1971

Yeah, after not seeing it for 4 years I had to watch 2 series back to back 5 days a week. Thanks for nothing Channel 4 :-(

But if you look on the torrent websites, you can find the NYPD tribute show quite easily ;-)

It's well worth the hunt, I was in tears at one point as they showed all the deaths that I'd forgotten!

ROADFLOWER

Standard Member
hi pooch

heard some terrible news from someone who has been tracking nypd blue on DMax...

they said that when series 2 finishes it goes right back to the start of series 1 again, and that series 5 - 12 are'nt going to be shown after all; the trailer just made it sound like it was showing the whole thing, but only meant it was showing the start of the series "...from the begining..."

i've emailed DMax but got no reply, so no confirmation on what you let us know or what this other fellow told me.

being an nypd blue fan sucks,

thmightyroadflower

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom