1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Digital - no subscription

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by gingernut, Jun 12, 2005.

1. gingernut

gingernut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Sky Digital (originally because we had no aerial reception). If I cease my subscription will I still be able to view any free channels through my dish (I have been a sky customer for ages so I assume I'd keep the box & dish). Ideally I'd like the 'freeview' options but don't have an aerial (I live in a listed building at the bottom of a valley so aerial reception is not an option). Can anyone please advise?

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If you cancel your subscriptions, your Sky card automatically becomes a "free to air" card.

3. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, that is what we did and we still get all the free to air channels.

One thing that does irritate me is that Sky Sports News is free to air on Freeview but not on Sky.

4. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh I forgot to mention, they will keep ringing you up to go back with them. Sometimes with an offer, we got an offer of 6 months at half price last year and re-joined then after the end of the 6 months cancelled again, I think the current offer is 3 months at half price.

5. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gingernut - I'm a bit confused about your statement that you live in a listed building. It seems that you're implying that's the reason you can't have a TV aerial up. I too live in a lsited building and TV aerials are not covered by the regs. Satellite dishes however, are, so you are already in breach of the regs.

Touch wood, no one's has been round to demand I take down my dish yet, but it's pretty well concealed up on the roof.

6. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    scitech, it all depends on the grade of listing. On Grade II a dish can be put on the building,providing you have planning permission, but it must be hidden away. On Grade II* and Grade I it cannot be mounted on the building without permission from the Secretary of State.

7. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bluevanman - I'm aware of that. I was wondering more about Gingernut's aerial.

Cheers.

8. gingernut

gingernut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone, I'll cancel my subscription! The sky dish is not on the building but ground level ajoining wall. Surprised by the aerial 'rule' though as aerial was stated in the legal blurb when we bought. It's a converted mill of 7 units so a row of aerials would look 'ugly' - so the free-to-air option through the (hidden) dish would be a good solution! Thanks again!