1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky digital music channels sound better then CD!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by doubleD, Sep 23, 2002.

1. doubleD

doubleD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got my sky, signal strength is top and I think that the quality of the music from the box is better then CD! lol, what are your views on this - am I right or wrong! :D :D

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I'm not to sure I would agree:)

SKY audio/radio is certainly better than DAB though which kinda makes a mockery of that technology and it's potential to replace good quality national and regional FM broadcasts.

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Time for someone to get a new CD player me thinks.:cool:

4. doubleD

doubleD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol, I have a multi changer and CD - DVD with optical out, it must be the excitement of having a TV source again after 4 months - 4 months of no TV, lol.

5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's no way it's as good as an even half decent CD player BUT the quality and range of Radio stations available through Sky is one area in which it's underrated I think.

I used to listen to Radio 1 exclusively as regular FM radio doesn't pick up much else apart from local (double glazing anyone?) radio but now listen to Sky radio's free 10 music-only stations all the time. The quality is great, there are no stupid DJs and they don't repeat the songs 6 times per day until you're sick of them.

6. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - let's sort out the facts.

Radio reception from Sky can be very good - especially if your FM reception isn't all that hot or - worse still, you listen on AM.

A station like Radio 2 or Classic FM will sound top notch on Sky with the right equipment, but sadly many others are no respecters of HiFi sound by digital satellite or any other medium.

Using compression techniques or even broadcasting in mono, makes some stations on the Sky platform sound really horrible.

It's all down to what the broadcasters send up to the satellite - garbage up = garbage down...

Still it's an Aladdin's cave of choice compared with the handful of FM stations available where I live and I welcome it with open arms!

And Music Choice is pretty good most of the time.

7. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    'Q' sounds absolutely terrible to me - I have been complaining about it for ages now! :(

8. Baggy69

Baggy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    is DAB really that bad ??? What a waste of technology if it is :(

9. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No DAB is not that bad, and it has other advantages - especially in car radios.

It's just not as good as it could be and that's a pity, so early in its development.

I'll stick to Sky Digital for the time being at least.