• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky Digital - how many channels are actually worth watching?

RMCF

Distinguished Member
Got fed up with all the flicking up and down on Sky recently, so I decided to set up my favourite channels (1st time ever used this!!)

I selected channels that I would watch fairly regularly, and the odd ones that might actually have something on every now and again that would be worth watching.

I ended up with a total of around 20 !! I don't know the official number of channels on Sky at present, but I think this just sums up the standard of modern TV programming.

To be honest, I would love to cancel Sky, but I really need it for the football. If it wasn't for that, Freeview would do me perfectly, asI find that my viewing has definitely gone down over the last few years.

So how many channels would you watch regularly?

Starburst

Distinguished Member
The wholepoint of multichannel tv is to provide something for everyone even those who have niche interests.

Your 20 channels will not be the same as everybody elses, well perhaps some but you get the idea:)

WHen it comes down to it we all have different tastes and for the most part I honestly believe that the BBC1 and ITV1 get good numbers because they have the tradition behined them. Thankfully multichannel TV has been erroding there audience for the last decade proving that more choice is a good thing even if an individual may consider that 90% of the channels are rubbish and no interest to them:)

I have 36 channels listed in Digiguide then add on the movie and sports bundles and then add another couple of dozen of channels that I may only watch 1 program a month from.

Barbara2001

Established Member
6 on a regular basis, plus another 8 once or twice a week.

Not necessarily in order of preference:-

Regularly

Sky One
Hallmark
Sci Fi
ITV3
ITV4
British Europsort

Once or Twice a Week

Living
BBC1
ITV2
Men & Motors
Ftn
UKTV Drama
UK Gold
E4

Starburst

Distinguished Member
SOK said:
To be honest, I would love to cancel Sky, but I really need it for the football. If it wasn't for that, Freeview would do me perfectly, asI find that my viewing has definitely gone down over the last few years.

Well you may be in luck come the 2007/08 season as SKY will not have the whole rights packages. There may be enough games on the BBC/ITV,NTL or Setanta to make the SKY offering less important:)

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
I think Starburst summed up the situation perfectly.

Just ignore the fact that you are paying for 500 plus channels that you never watch.

The important thing is whether the dozen or so channels that you do watch are worth the Sky subscription.

How much would it cost to attend your desired football matches?

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
HI,

Like others have said, although there are 500 plus channels to choose from, and you may only watch between 10 and 20 of them, it's those 10 or 20 that make the subscription just about palatable!

My main ones are, in no particular order of preference:
ITV4
ITV3
Sky 1
Sky 3
FX
Sci-Fi
Hallmark
Bravo
E4
BBC4
BBC3
Five
Artsworld
The Musician's Channel
The Horror Channel
Movies4Men
ActionMAX
TCM Turner Classic Movies
True Life Movies, and
The other main 4 terrestrial channels

Plus, less frequently:
LivingTV
Paramount
Paramount 2
Men And Motors
UK Drama
UK Gold
Sky News
BBC News 24
Radio 1
BBC1 Regional (Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland)
BBC2 Regional (Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland)
TVe (? The Spanish channel)
TV5 (? The French channel)
DW (? The Germain channel)

Pooch

R

RichBlack

I ditched my sky subscription a couple of years ago and have never regretted it. Me and the wife worked out we were paying £480+ a year that could be put to better use: DVD's, Cinema, Broadband ;) etc.

The hard part was actually canceling the subscription, but that is another story...

Daddy k

Distinguished Member
only 5!

bbc1
bbc2
itv
ch4
five................................................................

hue y on earth am i still paying £40 a month? :confused:

oh yeah! babecast :devil:

satinder

Established Member
Starburst said:
Well you may be in luck come the 2007/08 season as SKY will not have the whole rights packages. There may be enough games on the BBC/ITV,NTL or Setanta to make the SKY offering less important:)

I hope NTl get the rights so i can finally get a triple play package from them (tv, broadband and phone).

Sat

Starburst

Distinguished Member
satinder said:
I hope NTl get the rights so i can finally get a triple play package from them (tv, broadband and phone).

Sat

NTL already show every Premiership game that SKY does both in the standard SKY sports package and NTL's version of Prem+ don't they?

Unless you think they will be showing it free of charge:)

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
BBC1
BBC2
BBC News 24
UKTV Drama (very occasionally)
UKTV Gold (last watched 2003 but I remain hopeful it will one day return to it's former glory)

satinder

Established Member
Starburst said:
NTL already show every Premiership game that SKY does both in the standard SKY sports package and NTL's version of Prem+ don't they?

Unless you think they will be showing it free of charge:)

I know they have Sky Sports but i didnt know that Sports Extra and Premiership Plus are on Ntl. Do you know if the Man U channel is on Ntl? I will have to enquire about Ntl now, last time i looked they only had Sports 1,2 and 3.

Sat

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom