1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Digital Free To View

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by 50/50, Mar 19, 2003.

1. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been searching the web for Sky Free to view info, and I can across a forum saying that You can get Sky FTV for £120 with the box and Installation. Or £220 with a life time subscription to SkyOne (and some crap channels). So I have just rang up sky customer services, and Asked them about it.

They told me they dont know anything about, the £120 FTV or the SkyOne offer, but directed me towards sky sales. They said they would charge me £170 for a new sky set top box and £90 installation !!!

£260 ! :eek:

Then they said I would have to ring BBC FTV people for the card

I would just like to ask someone whats going on !

2. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry my mistake, the idiot I was speaking got it wrong.

Its only £99 for the box+installation :smashin:

But because I have a subsciption in a room, they will charge me £99 for the box plus £50 for the installation :confused:

This is weird. They should charge me less because of my subscription(£40!).

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The £120 FTV system was brought back by SKY because of the claims that the money the BBC, ITV etc were paying SKY for encryption was being used to subsidise SKY's PAY TV.
    By offering a low priced non subscription FTV system including installation SKY were able to satisfy the regulator that money from FTV broadcastors would for the most part be used to subsidise only the FTV viewers.

SKY subsidise through the Interactive Discount Contract a new customer who gets a digibox and dish free of charge and the customer pays for the installation at a price depending upon the subscription package they take.
    This subsidy is only allowed to be claimed once per household so if you want another STB from SKY it won't be subsidised so in this case your second STB and installation costs more than a FTV system.

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    A friend at work bought a second hand system from a second hand shop for £30, installed it himself for less than a tenner, and then contacted the BBC for a freeview card.

5. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I rang up sky and they told me that it would cost me £99 for everything inc installation.

I have a 1st gen sky digital box in my living room, and I want to get Sky FTV in my bedroom..

Would it be possible to just pay the £99, and then swop the boxes, so I cant get a new "fast" one on the main tv??

6. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    50/50

I am pretty sure the cards are locked to the box.

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

You can transfer your SKY smartcard to the new box and then marry a FTV card for your older digibox.
    Be warned the £99 price is probably for the minibox which is a lower spec STB compared to the standard design digibox also make sure that SKY don't think you want the £15 mirror subscription.

8. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the £99 is for the Installation
    The box is free..

So, I should be able to get the same box as subscription people, but I will varify this tommorrow.

They said, I would have to pay £150 installation because I already have a sky subscription, Im guessing that the extra £50 is to cover the cost of the 2way LNB(which costs about £50 from retailers)

If sky can supply a "proper" digi box, it is worth it.

P.S. i did varify that I want FTV several times, they even gave me the contact details to get BBCs FTV card.

9. Lester

Lester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi...

I have trouble receiving normal terrestrial telly cos there's a bloody big gas-ometer that pops up and down in line with the transmitter ! There isn't a decent fill-in transmitter nearby so its gonna have to be $ky.

I was gonna get the basic FTV installation for £120 and that'd be the end of my worries. (BTW I know I can subscribe and get various discounts on installation, but I'm after minimal hassle)

But I'm a little unsure how the BBC moving off the Sky platform will affect me when I get the £120 jobbie. I'm presuming nothing much will change and I'll still be able to get the Beeb ?

I'm just looking for reassurance that when I order the minimum FTV installation in the next week, nothing much is gonna change when the Beeb moves.

Thanks in advance.

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

There should be no difference in receiving the BBC channels when they move to 2D on any SKY box, a number of channels already broadcast from that satellite.
    The only real issue is how the EPG listings will work as the BBC and SKY are still in talks/arguments about the various options, however they should be sorted by the end of May(hopefully).